Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GM alt conversion done

well today i finally got time at school in my auto program to do the brackets, all they are is 1"X4" flat bar steel, drilled two 3.8'ths inch wholes then put in 2 bolts and used some extra large nuts for shims/spacers. then got a longer belt and i was done in about 1 hour.

i still have a few things to fix like the extra length on the brackets hittin the hood when its running (rough idle) and a few other odds and ends.

pictures later.

oh and my stereo sounds great now, 760 watts to my single 12", and i can run my headlights and rally lights without any problems now.

Shean

Yes do tell, whats the basic wiring set up and what was the total upgrade?,whats the amps on the factory compared to the GM one?I've got only two of my six lights hooked up,I'm a little concerned about a meltdown.I also have my rockford 550s and two 10's behind the seats running constantly too.A better alt would probobly be a good thing for me.

the stock alt was rated at 60amps, but it doesnt nearly push that much when you are driving around.

this one was just a old alt i had lying around my garage from one of my junk yard engines i had for my chevies.

i think it is a 80 or 90 amp alt.

http://www.lostwater.com/images/alt/alt5.jpg

thats how i wired it, then just hook the battery wire to the post on the back, i used female clips to the GM alt then male sliders and pushed them into the stock alt connector.

oh and i drove home last night with my stereo blaring with full base, and all my lights on, plus highmeans trying to kill the alt, it just kept going like i have nothing at all running (no lights, no stereo)

Shean