Ultimate Subaru Message Board

87 GL EJ Swap Runs!

Dj7291993

Well, I finally got around to doing my swap, 94 EJ22 out of a Legacy into my 87 GL Coupe.  Have the wiring rigged up at the moment.  At first I had no spark, but then I found a power wire I had missed.  Pays to have some wiring diagrams and a test light.  Didn't have any power on the yellow wire going to the diode and coil.  Hooked that up, and it fired right off.  I'll try to post the video later.

Well, I finally got around to doing my swap, 94 EJ22 out of a Legacy into my 87 GL Coupe.  Have the wiring rigged up at the moment.  At first I had no spark, but then I found a power wire I had missed.  Pays to have some wiring diagrams and a test light.  Didn't have any power on the yellow wire going to the diode and coil.  Hooked that up, and it fired right off.  I'll try to post the video later.

Yeah, that yellow wire gets cut in the harness strip often.

I think this is because the junction between this yellow wire for the alt signal circuit, that ties to the light green wire through the diode, also supplies power to the transistor, and other 12v @ engine is tied way up near the Fusible link box, nearest the alt end of the whole circuit.  It doesn't SEEM to be an ECM related wire during stripdown.

So, I have everything running and hooked up, but now my clutch won't engage.  I used the XT6 clutch kit from Luk, pressure plate, disk, and bearings.  Yet, the clutch won't engage.  I checked the fork, even undid the cable to pull it back all the way, yet it still won't engage.  Any ideas?

Edit:  Nevermind.  Stupid 4wd lever....

Edited by Dj7291993