Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Matts GL sedan

matts87glsedan

funny i started on this board with a silver EA82 sedan, 5MT DR ( hence the unimaginative name). After an eventful life, commuting 12hrs one way and cruising the backcountry, that car got called for a bogus inspection, and was retired.

So i picked up a 90 legacy auto with blown airbags.  paid ivan to fix it up 4 years ago, then and drove it for 150 000km .  until i finally abused it into a blown headgasket.  

2012-09-23113700_zps87047fac.jpg

which leads to...

seeing a silver GL sedan being a lawn ornament on hwy 6.  cold calling the place to meet the owner, who was in a generous mood.  he took my #, then called me back 2 weeks later to say i could have it for free. its also a 5MT DR. 

2012-12-01111737_zps77c60ada.jpg

2012-12-11195353_zps8380e6c6.jpg

2012-12-11195322_zpsfab3979c.jpg

rust repairs with a zip cut disc ensued. broken front springs replaced, broken front PS axle replaced, faulty coolant sensor replaced, new plugs cap wires and o2 sensor.  then a gallon of rubberised undercoat and my tube bumper (which thankfully didnt sell).

2013-01-16213939_zpsd465a356.jpg

2013-01-16214003_zps404b5239.jpg

2013-01-22163022_zps7a21685e.jpg

but the rusty 13's were disgusting, so i made some 4x140 to 5x100 , 1 inch thick spacers. these took some masterminding since they were 2 operations in the lathe, and the 5 hole pattern overlaps the 4 hole patterns' centering ring.

2013-03-08173938_zpsbc7a8d3f.jpg

2013-03-09133950_zps8c6c4b1a.jpg

you can see that they are bolted thru the back of the hub with 12.9 bolts instead of doubling up on the nuts.  this lets them be much less thick..  The center bore is .010 larger than my 36mm socket. 

so i had to put the turtle wagon up on blocks so i could have the 14" alloys with the snow tires.  

a while after that, I saw that finnish guys thread with the engine crane strapped to the back of his car and thought, "i need one of those" .

2013-03-24195108_zps15eee340.jpg

this one uses the captive nut in the trunk to anchor the back leg.  I think i'll put some cable stays on the back of the arm, like a grain auger, haha. 

currently ive got a ej22 shortblock  getting assembled this weekend if i get seals.  heads are mildly ported.   then marching towards getting that into the sedan, or something of the EJ variety.  :ph34r: .  

also have a small garret turbo, and intercooler from a stock 240sx, for the future.

and a LSD rear end that is feeling neglected, thats going to get remedied right away too.  went for a drive, and was missing it going back up some wet, rocky FSRs. 

2013-04-14170339_zps3b07a162.jpg

go spring!   :banana:

thanks! 

its not exactly in the 'awesome' category yet,  but it feels good to take a car that someone had pegged as no more than a parts donor, and turn it into a 600km per week daily driver.  without breaking the bank, either - i'm into it for less than 400 bucks so far, including having the wheel spacer blanks water jetted.      

• 2 weeks later...

Sweet. Typical BC Soob, getting some love to keep it on the road!

for sure, they are the ultimate BC car, IMO. definitely seen a few in the kootenays as well as out here

Funny have been working on that car for 16 years first saw it at 65000kms and 6 owners ago so glad it dident end up in the crusher thanks matt for saving a good one. Its the one year that came deul range efi good runing gear platform.

HA i didnt know it was the "Town Pump", now i feel dirty lol.  Oh well, everyone else thought she was all used up, but i'll keep ridin' her...

• 4 weeks later...

Nice thread on your GL sedan, and good effort in saving it from crusher.Are you able to make and sell me same kind of spacers/adapters?

thanks!  since i have to pay to have the blanks water jetted, and dont have bulk supply of wheel studs and mounting bolts, they might turn out to be kind of pricey, but can give you a quote. i'll PM you tonight. 

hmm, three prospects! i'm going to get bumped to the vender forum haha.  Ok i'll look into getting some more blanks cut, maybe they'll give me a better deal for a bigger run.  I'll try and re-work the depth of the stud inset to fit a standard length of stud.  i had to cut junkyard Pathfinder studs to length (same oddball thread pitch as subaru), and then clean up the threads. 

how much of a bitch is it to get metric bolts for you guys?  I'll price out a bag of the 12.9 grade, M12 mounting bolts.  we'll see how my price compares to yours.  And then I'd have peace of mind knowing they were mounted with top quality hardware.   Studs, you can probably get cheaper than me or go junkyard.  not sure if i can make it work with the original EA ones yet. i couldnt for mine, but that was because of the material thickness i chose, IIRC. 

the material is 6061 T6 , same as what everyone uses.  

thanks for looking into this option, should also help out some of the 5 lug swap ea81 guys (like what I intent to use these for) with the rear wheels sitting in the wheel well farther than the fronts.

I figured I'd post that here to keep from cluttering up the other thread,

Edited by 86BRATMAN

thanks for looking into this option, should also help out some of the 5 lug swap ea81 guys (like what I intent to use these for) with the rear wheels sitting in the wheel well farther than the fronts.

I figured I'd post that here to keep from cluttering up the other thread,

nice.  i've never had an EA81, so if theres anything different between them and the EA82 hubwise, i'd appreciate the heads up. for instance,  i dont know what you mean about front vs. rear spacing.  you want to make the rear wider? 

So we should check out cost on M12-1.25 fasteners correct? what length and and head type would you prefer? Or should we spec out a regular wheel stud to press in for the 5 bolt pattern? And / or....Thanks!

yo, i specify in the other thread... kind of.  lengths are not figured out yet.  but its most likely m12 1.5 bolts to mount it, then your M12 1.25 studs to put the wheel on. 

nice. i've never had an EA81, so if theres anything different between them and the EA82 hubwise, i'd appreciate the heads up. for instance, i dont know what you mean about front vs. rear spacing. you want to make the rear wider?

there is no difference in width front to rear stock, but if you swap out the suspension with xt6/legacy stuff up front for 5-lug you end up being wider, especially if you go the route of putting an ea82 crossmember in. They end up having a 2 inch wider track width in front than the rear.