Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Pump base plate needed for '81GL, anybody?

Weird I took a look and it looks like they don't sell the pump anymore. I guess the next best thing would be to go to the junk yard and grab a pump.

Their easy to rebuild and it shouldn't cost too much with a junk yard oil pump and rebuild.

Edited by mikaleda

New is around $100 from me and I have used ones for $25 shipped.  I obviously don't sell cracked or scored up pumps.  I can put a kit into the pump or include it for an additional cost of $25.  

Thanks everyone, I found a new one online and installed it yesterday. The first time I took it off it broke off, but I was still able to carefully pry it off with a screw driver. I attempted to repair and re-install which was a bad idea because the second time I tried to remove it, it broke off flush with mating surface.

To get that out I took a bolt with a nut on it and put the head of the bolt inside and under the lip of the broken off piece that was still stuck in the bore. I then used the nut that was on the end of the bolt to pry forward with a pair of long diagonal cutters.

When you re-install the new one, I recommend inserting it without the o-ring in order to get the drive gear shaft lined up (no resistance), then put the o-rings  and gasket on and install.

• Like 1