Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Lifts and Gas Mileage

Legacy Lift 2in 4in Gas Mileage 28s 15mpg

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ThatSubaruKid

ThatSubaruKid

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 08:52 PM

So I wanna lift my legacy, but as a high school student in search of a job, I want to get OK gas mileage. I was thinking a 4in lift would be best, perhaps a 6. With a 4in lift, what kind I mpg am I looking at, same with a 6? My definition of OK is greater than 15mpg. I'm assuming tires play a big role in it as well. I was thinking some 28's...

#2 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:24 PM

the biggest drop in mpg will be from the tires. I have roughly a 3.5 inch lift on my legacy and 26" tires from an outback until my general grabber at2s get here. on my last fill up traditional calculations showed I got 25.x mpg, but this is not accurate because the speedometer is also off by 6% with the different tires. To get a true mpg calculation you need to figure out what percentage your speedometer will be off, multiply the miles on the tank by that, and then divide by gallons to full. Even this data should be repeated at every fill up over a period of time and them averaged to get a true feel for what your car is actually getting.

#3 ThatSubaruKid

ThatSubaruKid

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Vancouver, WA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 09:42 PM

25.x??? Is that 25 mpg +? Or so math formula? Lol

#4 nipper

nipper

Semi Elite Master of the

• Members
  • 17,621 posts
  • Long Island NY

Posted 22 April 2013 - 10:42 PM

Or use a GPS to do the math.   ON a 3 inch lift No change but I stayed with stock tire sizes.

#5 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,036 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 22 April 2013 - 11:32 PM

26" Tires will make almost no difference. 28"s may cause you a 2-3 mpg drop but that can be countered with better gearring. 4.11 diffs will make a huge difference in bottom end power with the bigger tires.

#6 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,412 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 23 April 2013 - 01:51 AM

25.some decimal that I couldn't remember

#7 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Puyallup, WA

Posted 23 April 2013 - 08:49 AM

I get 18-20 mpg with 215/75/15 BFG MT KM2's.  That's with a 3.9 D/R and 4.11 rear diff.

#8 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,036 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:06 PM

I get 18-20 mpg with 215/75/15 BFG MT KM2's.  That's with a 3.9 D/R and 4.11 rear diff.

How the hell does that work? Your rear tires are driving harder than the fronts when you're in 4wd. The different final drive ratios make it bind constantly. Hope you only use that off-road.

Edited by Fairtax4me, 24 April 2013 - 02:07 PM.

#9 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Puyallup, WA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:11 PM

It's magic! :P

Yes I only put it in 4WD when off-road. 4WD on pavement is a big no-no in that car.

#10 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 9,036 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:14 PM

Ahh, gotcha! I figured you must have it set up that way for a good reason.

#11 NorthCoast

NorthCoast

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Puyallup, WA

Posted 24 April 2013 - 02:17 PM

LOL... not really.  I just never saw a reason to swap out the stock diff until I got a welded one. The ratio's aren't that far off anyway.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Legacy, Lift, 2in, 4in, Gas, Mileage, 28s, 15mpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users