Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well here are the contenders:

After 178,000 miles I am replacing the halfshaft on my 93 Legacy wagon. This is the original shaft with the original CV joints and boots. CV joints and boots are 11 years with 178,000 miles.

Original battery in my wifes 96 OBW. Manufacture date of the car is 11-95. It is still in the car doing it's job everyday. I will replace the battery in the fall if it doesn't conk out before then. At retirement the battery will be 9 years old with 160,000 miles.

The final contenter is the original clutch in the 93 Legacy. Once again, 178,000 miles. Going strong, no retirement in sight.

Votes please.

My vote is for the battery. I thought it was remarkable that I still have my original battery on my 98. I thought I would replace it this fall but since yours is still going....

The clutch is impressive but no big deal...esp if you are doing mostly highway miles.

i actually replaced the -origiginal- battery on my '96 legacy last year!

It finally died when i was in a parking lot. The tow truck driver who jumped me was totally horrified -- "WHAT?? HOW CAN THAT BE THE ORIGINAL BATTERY?!" (batteries don't usually last too long here in florida..)

i guess they don't make 'em like the used to :-)

190,000 miles when the original clutch and battery were replaced in my 1995 Legacy (summer 2003)

Brakes and roters changed in early 2003.

Coolent temp sensor changed in summer 2003.

Everything else is original.

213,000 miles as of right now. :D

Northguy, if your 96 was driven in Alaska all its life, it is then proof, contrary to what someone was writing on this board rencently, that 2.2L engines, even when started frequently at temps around -20, -30 C°, can have a long life without any head gasket problem. This puts my mind a little bit more at ease.

Thanks.

Not a Subaru, but impressive still: 1989 Toyota pickup. 200,300 miles. Absolutely nothing wrong. A belt here, a battery there. Changed plugs and wires for the first time at 200,000 as a thank you for making it so long. Runs just the same as before.

Everything on my '92 Legacy Wagon in the engine is original except for the timing belt (replaced at 188K). The trannny (auto!) is also original, with nothing done to it besides fluid replacement. The car has 218,000 on it.

If it makes it back across the country for me (3300 miles), full of my girlfriend's and my stuff, a box and a ski rack on top, and 2 bikes on the back...I'll owe it whatever it wants for as long as I live.

That thing with the Toyota pick up is nothing compaired what the UK TV program: TOP GEAR did with a Toyota pick-up.

They wondered why its always a Toyota that is used by soldiers in countries like Africa? So they 'tested' one.

They took an old Toyota pick-up (diesel). Ran it into trees, had it submerged completely on a beach (sea water) for 8 hours, set the cabin on fire for 20 minutes, hung it from a crane and let it fall 50ft on a caravan, put it on a roof of 6 story buildng and then blew up the building to demolish it.

They got the car out of the rubble. Put in some gas and added a new battery (was removed) and started the engine and 'drove' it away (two flats and a broken chasis)........ No tricks involved.