Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ swap vapor canister HELP

herb

recently got my ej swap in (courtesy of suberdave) but i'm having issues hooking up my vapor canister.  is there any way to bypass it, if not, could anybody enlighten me on the proper installation? MUCH APPRECIATED guys!

Just get an early EJ canister and hook it up like factory.  

The canister is supposed to store vapors in the charcoal, till the
engine is warm, when it evaporates out of the charcoal and is fed into
the throttle body when the throttle is open past about 10%.

It fits almost perfectly in the EA canister location.

OR.....loop the 2 open hardlines back to eachother.  This will leave the EVAP hose open to above throttle vacuum all the time though, and can make for rich warmups.  But, on a hot day, with a full tank, you could get liquid gas expanding and feeding into the throttle and cause a flood/no start.

Your EJ has a solenoid for the canister?  One of my conversions has one (USDM) and the other (JDM) does not.  Was the EA a turbo or not?

I've used the EA82T canister with the EJ engine.  It's pretty easy to hook up once you figure out where to put the hoses.  It also reduces a lot of smog (as much as a cat) without any performance hit.

thats the thing.. I'm not sure if it has a solenoid for the canister (non-turbo, obd1 dualport ej). I tried looping the hardlines together and it started sputtering and died like it was flooded after a mile, so I pulled that off and it spewed fuel all over. I hooked up the canister to the two top lines but I'm unsure where to put the line that comes out of the bottom? thanks guys!

in the 95 - 97 cars it looks like this. not sure about the 90 - 94 cars.

29274d1365576963-leaking-coolant-what-pa

yeah thats what im working with, i'm just unsure how to properly route the lines. also, whats the white thing thats sitting inline with the far hose? i dont have that..

thats the thing.. I'm not sure if it has a solenoid for the canister (non-turbo, obd1 dualport ej). I tried looping the hardlines together and it started sputtering and died like it was flooded after a mile, so I pulled that off and it spewed fuel all over. I hooked up the canister to the two top lines but I'm unsure where to put the line that comes out of the bottom? thanks guys!

My EJ swap into a EA82 wagon is the same setup (1993 non-turbo, obd1 dualport ej).  Connect the 2 lines to the top of the canister.  The larger line is the fuel tank vent and the smaller one is the output to the purge canister solenoid.  Connecting the lines together would cause the engine to run rich as you noted.  The tube coming out the bottom is just a vent, it should be left open and doesn't need to be connected to anything.  I don't have one of the white things on the vent line either, don't worry about it.

Also, double check your fuel line connections on the drivers side of the engine.  You shouldn't have fuel in the vent line as you described.  You might have the connections mixed up.

My EJ swap into a EA82 wagon is the same setup (1993 non-turbo, obd1 dualport ej).  Connect the 2 lines to the top of the canister.  The larger line is the fuel tank vent and the smaller one is the output to the purge canister solenoid.  Connecting the lines together would cause the engine to run rich as you noted.  The tube coming out the bottom is just a vent, it should be left open and doesn't need to be connected to anything.  I don't have one of the white things on the vent line either, don't worry about it.

Also, double check your fuel line connections on the drivers side of the engine.  You shouldn't have fuel in the vent line as you described.  You might have the connections mixed up.

excellent thank you for the response, I'm looking into that as we speak.  would you happen to have a picture of the fuel lines you're speaking of?

excellent thank you for the response, I'm looking into that as we speak.  would you happen to have a picture of the fuel lines you're speaking of?

I dont have a pic, but I just put my EJ22 back in the car after a headgasket repair last week so I have a good picture in my mind.

The lines that I am referring to connect at the drivers side intake manifold.  There are 3 of them (fuel supply, fuel return, and vent).

On the chassis side, the fuel supply line has the filter on it obviously.  As for the other 2, blow compressed air into the rubber tubes.  The vent line wont make any noise, but if you blow air in the fuel return line you will hear bubbling in the tank.

On the engine side, you can just carefully follow by eye where the hardlines run along the intake manifold.  One of the lines just runs to the canister, connect the vent hose there.

well spoob, it seems those are all hooked up properly on that side, BUT when I hooked up the vapor canister it was dumping fuel out of the hose on the bottom of the canister after about 5min still... any ideas? 

BUT when I hooked up the vapor canister it was dumping fuel out of

the hose on the bottom of the canister after about 5min still... any

ideas?

if fuel was coming out of the canister, the 3 lines on the driverside are wrong.

the hose from the fuel filter goes to the upper most metal line.

if that is not right, correct it.

if that is correct, swap the 2 smaller lines.

• Like 1

if fuel was coming out of the canister, the 3 lines on the driverside are wrong.

the hose from the fuel filter goes to the upper most metal line.

if that is not right, correct it.

if that is correct, swap the 2 smaller lines.

took your advice, so far so good! REALLY appreciate it man, thanks a ton!

I think you have the return line and the vent line reversed at the intake.  Return line is low in the tank, and will gravity feed out fuel.

Problem is, if this is an early EA, with 1/8 return line (smallest of the 3) then you need to upgrade.  2 options.

1: run a new return line, larger in size.  1/4 at least.

2:  swap the return and vent lines. The vent line is larger at the engine. This sounds like what you did, although you need to do one more step.  Back underneath by the tank, you have to swap the return and vent lines, so your returning fuel goes in low, and the vent line is tapped off the filer neck area.  there is a hardline that runs along the side of the tank to go up to the vent.  You can swap the rubber lines at the front of the tank.

So for option 2 you would leave the engine bay as you have it, then swap the return and vent at the back of the tank.

• Like 1