Ultimate Subaru Message Board

redrilled EA flywheel just got done, time to gather the rest of the parts for the DR swap

torxxx

Just got back from my buddies fab shop and my fly wheel looks amazing.   I had him make a template out of 1/2" steel and we bought the right size bits for his Mag drill.  The jig bolts to the fly wheel via Pilot bearing and a bolt, so once its bolted down to the table there is very little chance of movement.  I asked him now that we have everything built for the jig how long it would take to do start to finish.  20 minutes.

So for the Alaskan's on the board that need flywheels redrilled, it can be done in Fairbanks now.   He is going to be starting the adapter plate this weekend and hopefully after that I get can him on making up some shift linkage setups.

1.  Ordering up a EA82 clutch this weekend, I'm still a little stumped on the pressure plate because I've heard that they dont actually make a XT6 PP anymore and its just a EA82 PP thrown into the XT6 clutch kit.   Any truth behind this?

2.  I'm going to run 23 spline 93 2wd Impreza axles for now, I dont really want to tear into a perfectly good D/R just to change stubs out.  

3.  2003 5MT wagon driveline is the correct driveline for the swap?

4.  Making tranny x-member.   I was thinking of just cutting down the EA mount and rewelding the ends on to adapt to my EJ lift.  Or is there an easier way?

5.  Shift linkage - I gotta pull the linkage today when I get to the shop, wondering if the extra shifter will interfere with a possible dual ebrake setup for the rear?

I think thats it for now, I gotta try and find a dry flat spot in my yard to get my car jacked up and get the AWD tranny out.. that should be fun considering we have snow in the forcast for the next week... 

1.  Ordering up a EA82 clutch this weekend, I'm still a little stumped on the pressure plate because I've heard that they dont actually make a XT6 PP anymore and its just a EA82 PP thrown into the XT6 clutch kit.   Any truth behind this?

Depends. Who's "they"? I know Beck/Arnley lists a separate part number for EA82t/XT6 and EA82 clutch kits. I've used the turbo/H6 one in 3 differet cars (2 EJ swaps, and one XT6). Now I work at AutoZone, same thing with their "Duralast" branded clutches, one part for EA82, another for EA82t/XT6. Again I bought the EA82t/XT6 one for my brat (haven't installed it yet).

They buy from many different suppliers so there's no guarantee that even 2 boxes with the same part number on the outside have the same part inside.....but the one I got is an Exedy, which is the OEM manufacturer, AFAIK.

Now, none of these listings show clamping force, so no way to know if they're actually stronger than the EA82...

3.  2003 5MT wagon driveline is the correct driveline for the swap?

I don't think there's a driveshaft that will work without modification. The PT4WD trans is shorter than the EJ AWD one. I did quite a bit of hunting, and could not find a bolt-in driveshaft for an EJ trans in my XT6, had to take 2" out of the stock EA 5MT shaft. So you will likely have to add 2" to the shaft that matches your chassis.

4.  Making tranny x-member.   I was thinking of just cutting down the EA mount and rewelding the ends on to adapt to my EJ lift.  Or is there an easier way?

The EA mounts will line right up with the front piece of an EJ 3-piece crossmember. Just drill holes in it, done.

5.  Shift linkage - I gotta pull the linkage today when I get to the shop, wondering if the extra shifter will interfere with a possible dual ebrake setup for the rear?

There's probably a way to do it. I had dual ebrakes in my blue '88, but I also didn't have a center console...

I think thats it for now, I gotta try and find a dry flat spot in my yard to get my car jacked up and get the AWD tranny out.. that should be fun considering we have snow in the forcast for the next week... 

Yep, they're still talking about snow over here too.

EDIT: Trying to fix the formatting. The new forum software is just ignoring the /quote tags I put in the middle of the post, and adding a bunch at the end....ugh

Edited by Numbchux

thx chux for getting back to me.,  Someone in a thread was sayin that the Gen 2 OB driveline was 2 inches longer, I dont mind making a custom carrier bearing bracket to offset the difference, I'd rather not have to getting into cutting drivelines.  

Its snowing right now otherwise I'd be out pulling the driveline out of my 2003 or the 2005 OB and checking lengths.  

I guess with the gear reduction with having 4 low the holding pressure prolly aint gonna make a difference.  Higher RPMs with the AWD tranny is where I've had slipping.  And thats with Everything stock on the 98 OB, just with 29" tires. 

I'm thinking about making my own X-member for the tranny just to gain a little bit of clearance.  I remember the EA x-member sat up a bit higher because it wasnt that silly 2 piece crossmember.  I was planning on using the rear mount to make a skid plate cover thingy around the back half the extension housing.  

Arrrggg.  Subaru needs to get my SVX valve cover gaskets here faster so I can get that fixed and park the lifted one and get starting wrenching on it.  Sucks tryin to work on your daily driver and still being able to drive it to work the next day lol

And maybe I'll email Valeo again and see if they offer a higher clamping force pressure plate.  Last time I dealt with them directly, I had a response within a few hours and they were on top of their stuff.  

Edited by torxxx

Rock auto, I just got my clutch kit for the xt6 last summer. Napa is retarded dont go there, and don't waste your money on a duralast. Cause they don't last and are never right.

B/A, rino pack ect ect ect.

-Prwa

Thank you for so tactfully enlightening me, I have dealt with Napa for over forty years and didn't know it was so undesirable.

Napa is starting to get a bad name.  Their clutch kits have had the wrong pressure plates.  I've had 2 of them now where I've had to warranty a clutch job because of the wrong pressure plate.  Valeo had made the PP, Exedy disc and after fighting with napa to reimburse me, they admitted the kit was packaged wrong and paid me like a 1/4 of what I charged to install it :(

The Exedy Kit I just put in my OB is already showing signs of slippage, so I'm leary of what brand to use.  All though I got 10 years out of a EA-82 clutch, where as I've already did in a EJ clutch in 10k miles and this new one might see 5k miles.  They lack the holding pressure running a AWD 5MT and 29"s.   I'm ordering an Beck Arney for a 88 RX Coupe off amazon, looked around last night and the part #'s are the same for the EA82 and the ER27

If that clutch cant hold up, gonna have to go custom I guess?

Rock auto, I just got my clutch kit for the xt6 last summer. Napa is retarded dont go there, and don't waste your money on a duralast. Cause they don't last and are never right.

B/A, rino pack ect ect ect.

-Prwa

Kind of an uninformed, wongleflute response.

Napa stores are almost all franchises, and the individual franchise owner is allowed a lot of freedom in where they get their parts. So there's very little consistency from one location to the next.

Duralast is not a manufacturer of anything, just a brand. You'll find the same parts in those boxes that you'll find at any other major parts store. Like I said, I got a clutch kit for my Brat ($100, and I got an employee discount off that!), that's an Exedy. The EJ clutch that we stock is a Valeo. I've seen suspension parts that say Moog on them (even though Moog is supposed to be an Advance auto exclusive). Almost anything remanufactured is Cardone. Batteries are Johnson controls. Electrical components are Wells. etc. etc. etc.

And, regardless of where you go, it really matters who's standing behind the counter. The store I work with has generally an awesome crew, lots of knowledge. Except one guy....who thinks he knows a lot more than he does, and makes some assumptions when he's looking up parts.

Anyway. Torxxx, AFAIK all legacies are the same wheelbase. I did quite a bit of research on them when I did my swap, but it's possible I missed that. If the wheelbase is in fact 2" longer, than the overall length will be right, just have to move the carrier bearing.

If you do decide to go custom with your kit, there's a local company here in Duluth called Lakehead Clutch. They do some really awesome work, and I could hand-deliver an XT6 core for them to rebuild for more holding force.

Edited by Numbchux
  • Like 1

Since I am in Alaska also I thought I would share some helpful information. in Wasilla there's a place called DC subaru, he has 2 yards, one with 85-94 gl-loyales and he had roughly 40 of them xt-6's-rx's he has everything. his other yard is new gens, 94-2012 with roughly 200 cars. and once again he has everything. It would be quite a drive but if you REALLY need something that's the place to find it. PM me if you want his number, though last time I talked to him he said he will be out of town till the 16th.

As for the clutch if you go custom, Alaska clutch rebuilders here in anchorage if fantastic. They can make a hell of a clutch for you and do it very quickly. I had them rebuild a disc for my buddies beateroo cost me $40 and took about 15mins.

Torxxx

The 03 OB driveline is the one you want. Carrier mounts in the same spot but needs longer bolts and spacers to keep from rubbing on the rear diff mount.

Since you have the skills make your own trans mount and tuck it up higher. Redrilling the stock trans mount and using a wedge sucks.

Shift linkage shouldn't interfere with dual e-brakes.

Edited by NorthCoast

thanks for the info.  I may be having to hit him up for a few D/R's.  I wanna get my stock pile of them before they are all gone.  not to mention the RX rear diffs as well.   

Does the guy build turbo subaru's?   I met a guy up here at one of the local subaru meets that was from wasilla and knew a lot of stuff about the newer soobs.  I cant remember his name thou

My bad guys, didnt mean it like that... I tryed going to napa to get it took him the kid 30min to find the xt6 clutch kit and then orderd it. Left went home, looked at the paper and turns out it was just the disk.... Had to drive back and get my money back which took them 3 days... Then he couldn't even find the full kit not the Pressure plate to go with it... I was suggesting not going to napa for the kit, because they don't have it. Lol.

Other than that, Napa is where I go to get my parts other than Subaru it self. Your right it just depend on who's in there and who you talk to. Some are good some are bad.

Sorry to be blunt in the previous post.

It's best to cross reference you clutch kits with rockauto to amazon so you get the right one.

-Prwa

Torxxx

The 03 OB driveline is the one you want. Carrier mounts in the same spot but needs longer bolts and spacers to keep from rubbing on the rear diff mount.

Since you have the skills make your own trans mount and tuck it up higher. Redrilling the stock trans mount and using a wedge sucks.

Shift linkage shouldn't interfere with dual e-brakes.

I'm going to be redesigning the rear diff mount, I dont like how they hang down with a big lift on it, Going to grind off the top of that mount, I saw rub marks from last light where getting highcentered pushed the driveline up enough to score a line into the shaft.  

Just checked the weather forecast, another week of snow and a possibility of rain.  this crap needs to go away so I can get this project done.  

• 2 weeks later...

thanks for the info.  I may be having to hit him up for a few D/R's.  I wanna get my stock pile of them before they are all gone.  not to mention the RX rear diffs as well.   

Does the guy build turbo subaru's?   I met a guy up here at one of the local subaru meets that was from wasilla and knew a lot of stuff about the newer soobs.  I cant remember his name thou

well, he has quite a few d/r  but i think he only has 1 rx, its a black sedan that runs and drives but is hit in the front. though he does have about 6 turbo wagons, one of them has got to have an lsd.

he doesnt really build anything custom, he mostly just buys and fixes and sells.

61.606085, -149.636826 look this up in google maps, thats his new gen yard

61.58516,-149.544936 this is his old gen yard.

Edited by AKghandi