Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

15.9 gal fuel tank yea right 86 turbo wagon 4wd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Subi81

Subi81

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,006 posts
  • Ventura, Ca

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:21 PM

Has anyone actually got 15.9 gallons in there fuel tank, 86 turbo wagon 4wd.

The manual states that it is a 15.9 gal tank but I have completely ran it out of fuel and I could only get 13.9 gal into it. Gas was coming out the filler!

What happened to the other 3 gallons. Or am I just looking at the manual wrong.

Thanks

#2 GeneralDisorder

GeneralDisorder

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,281 posts
  • Portland

Posted 16 April 2004 - 03:32 PM

Likely you didn't run it out of fuel completely, so that probably accounts for at least 1/2 gallon there. So now your up to 14.5 or so..... 14.5 is the capacity of the EA81 4WD tank (83+).... and 15.9 is the capacity of the EA81 2WD tank.....

Now I know that ALL EA82's had the 4WD tank regardless of being 4WD or not. So I speculate that your tank capacity is really 14.5 gallons, since that's about what it would have to be for you to have run out of gas at 13.9.....

Not sure what's up with the manual you have.... and of course all my numbers are for EA81's, so your car could be completely different..... just offering you what I can.

At any rate, I think it's clear that you have a 14.5 gallon tank.... maybe it was replaced with one from an EA81???

GD

#3 Danbob99

Danbob99

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Brier, Washington

Posted 17 April 2004 - 12:45 AM

eh, i'd go with the whole 4wd tank idear, i've had the same problem with my car; and in asking around the shop, its common. Your gauge will lie to you the most of anything, the little light will come on when you have just about 2 gallons left in your car. they do that as a saftey freature to preserve the life of your fuel pump. its bad to run your car completly out of gas for several reasons. One, the fuel pump uses gas to lubricate itself, and running it out of gas forces it to turn un libricated, causeing excesive wear. And two, this is true especialy if you use arco gas, there is all sorts of crap in the bottom of your tank that you suck up when you burn that last half gallon or so. but yea, guess this wasn't so much about fuel tank sizes, but this just reminded me of that. :)

#4 subiemech85

subiemech85

SIX STAR SERVICE

• Members
  • 2,710 posts
  • down by the river

Posted 17 April 2004 - 03:05 PM

sure :brow: 16.2 to FULL completely ran out abot 500 feet from station, coasted in and filled up

#5 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 17 April 2004 - 06:27 PM

Ive never ran out....but i have put 15.2 gal in on seval ocassions.

#6 Adam N.D.J.

Adam N.D.J.

Quite Rusty, but working.

• Members
  • 3,290 posts
  • Medford, Oregon

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:15 PM

You guys have to think that the pumps are not always calibrated right. I've seen several occasions where they've been way off, 6.5 gallons in a 5 gallon gas can?!?! WTF! When I first got my EA81T tank in the Brat, I went down to fill it up and it took almost 13 gallons!!! I know it's not that big.

#7 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Members
  • 941 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:20 PM

I've put 15.5 in my Loyale... got pretty nervous, since I never saw an idiot light come on.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users