Ultimate Subaru Message Board

GL-10 4EAT Governor location?

So the 4EAT in my '86 GL-10 will only shift into 1st and 2nd manually, and not into 3rd. Every other gear works fine. From the research I've done here I figure I need to pull out the tranny governor, clean it, and make sure it's not "applecored." My question is where is the governor located on the tranny? The Haynes/ Chilton manuals don't point to it and I can't find any pics online. Anyone know where I can find it? Thanks!

If you have an 86, you have a 3-speed automatic, aka "3AT" (technically, a JATCO M41/M41A core).  The governor lives under an aluminum dome-cover above the front-axle shaft on the US-passenger's-side of the transmission.  3 bolts hold on the cover... it is a little tight to get to on a turbo model.

With any luck, your main problem is just a gummed-up governor valve.

Edit: changed incorrect "driver's-side" to "passenger's-side" :endEdit

Edited by NorthWet

OK so I think I found it, although it was over the passenger side front axle shaft. This looks bad right? Think I can get away with just replacing the worn gear? Though I would assume The gear this rides on is also worn unless it is made of a stronger grade metal. Any miracle suggestions? Thanks!

photo8ij.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Sorry, I mistyped its location... I was so concerned about not assuming everybody was US-market, I wrote the wrong side.

Yes, that is pretty bad.  If this just started giving you trouble, you can probably get away with replacing the gear; this should give you anywhere from 1 week to a couple years of use.  But you also need to rebuild that valve:  Even if it seems to be working properly, follow the directions elsewhere on how to polish, clean and reassemble the valve head.

I am considering making an electronically actuated, non-rotating solenoid valve to totally eliminate the rotational issues of the governor.

On a Subaru tranny, it is almost always advisable to change the ATF... but that is not where the gear debris would go:  It is driven off of the front pinion shaft, so it is lubed by the differential gear oil.

Changing the gear only deals with part of the problem.  The governor valve needs to be thoroughly cleaned and polished.

Edited by NorthWet

Thank you, NorthWet, for the clarification. Sounds like a good maintenance task to perform. So the governor valve is located in the previous picture? Above the gear?

Sorry, I'm a manual tranny guy. The 3AT is in the '85 wagon that I will give to my daughter when she turns 16... After she performs ALL maintenance procedures. She's gonna hate me!

On a Subaru tranny, it is almost always advisable to change the ATF... but that is not where the gear debris would go:  It is driven off of the front pinion shaft, so it is lubed by the differential gear oil.

Changing the gear only deals with part of the problem.  The governor valve needs to be thoroughly cleaned and polished.

While I agree it would be a "good" idea to do so, I don't undestand why you seem to think this is SO important?  The Chips from the gear will be in the diff oil.  ATF in the governor should not be contaminated.

I didn't clean and polish mine other than a quick wipe and blow with compressed air.  And it runs fine now.  I don't put many miles on that car though......less than 1k a year.

Just curiuos what your thinking is here or if you've had a specific problem from not cleaning governor?

Changing the ATF is generally just a good thing... it is easy for the automatics to get overheated and have the ATF degrade.  I did not mean to imply any connection between missing gear material and needing to change the ATF.

In my experiences, the governor valves tend to get gummed-up and or develop slight burring that affects its function.  This seems to be the experience of others here, which accounts for the article on cleaning it up. 

I also have a sneaking suspicion that a valve in need of cleanup could become rotationally unbalanced enough to cause the gear-end to wobble.  But this is still just conjecture.

Also, replacing the gear sometimes isn't enough: I have 2 3ATs which will eat a new driven gear within a couple hundred miles.  I suspect that the drive gear is toast.

Cheers!