Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Just curious if anyone ever had the idea to put leaf springs on a Brat?

As in solid axle? People have thought of it, but I haven't seen any pictures of a solid axle conversion yet. Subaru's, much like Hummer's before the silly H2, are four wheel independant suspension, and that makes them unique..... take that away, and you might as well get a chevy LUV or something.

Leaf springs are heavier, and weight is not the friend of an 80 HP car/truck. The bed is too small anyway, and the chrome on the sides is flimsy. Hauling and towing is best left to *real* trucks in my opinion. Besides - Brats are to be collected and saved, not beat up and used to haul stuff.

Also - you can increase the capacity a bit by using the EA82 rear coil-overs, and lifting the rig 3". My wagon has a much greater capacity now, than it had stock....

GD

If the torsion bar can't keep it up, you could rotate each side one spline to increase the spring rate. Or to occasionally increase load capacity air shocks might the way to go. On a 3"-4" lifed car/brat, shocks spec'd for a Toyota FJ60 landcruiser will fit.

If your looking for some more load capacity, do the rear coilover from and ea82 conversion. I hauled 3 EA81's, 2 EA82's (complete motors), two rear suspensions from EA81's (whole thing, torsion bars, and everything from drum to drum), 5 wagon doors, and a buddy. Not sure how much all the stuff weighed, but it dropped the rear end about 2 inches, I'm just really glad that I have over twice the stock horsepower and torque.

Without bagin' on youre idea :rolleyes:

Yes! I have thought of leaf springs, but that's because I'm going to a strait axle in the back ;) If U plan on keeping the IRS then leaf springs are not a good idea at all. There is not enough room to still have good sus. travel with leaf springs. Air shocks or a good set of coil-overs in the back would be the way to increase load cap.

Now if U are talking about going to a strait axle :brow: leaf springs are very doable, but a 3 or 4 link set up with coil-overs would kick @$$.