Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brattle Can

Godsmulligan

I've always wanted a brat and when I saw this one for a couple hundred bucks I couldn't pass it up. As you may know I'm fixing the tail gate right now. Next is a satin black paint job. I have plans to out some tube bumpers on it a roll bar and a winch with an overhaul on the interior thrown in.

I've already gave it a tune up, a new battery, replaced the rear wheel bearing, sealed the fun top, a new radiator sensor, rebuilt the brakes and fixed the throttle cable.

It's going to be used for light off-road use like, hunting, camping, gold panning and driving cross country in the winter. So, it has to be dependable.

post-47847-0-26517500-1367214425_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-80243800-1367214437_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-87624300-1367214445_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-02285300-1367214458_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-57748600-1367214481_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

My son and I too are painting his 79 flat black.  Eastwood.com just introduced a new Dead Rat Flat Black.  It is flatter than satin.  I think we might go with this color.

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwoods-dead-rat-flat-black-ssu-kits.html

Just a thought.

Good call. That is exactly what I was picturing.

Unfortunately for this endeavor, I'm going to be trying my first ever rattle can paint job. I've done actual paint jobs on cars, just never a rattle can one. I need something I can cover it with, go back and work on a section, then spray the section. This car has lots of work that needs to be done, and I want to still use it while I'm working on it. I'm hoping the satin will help hide the fact that it's rattle can without looking like a primer. Not to mention the satin kind of matches the faded paint. Fingers crossed

Think of this paint job as a band-aid. I need something to paint it while I'm working on it and I don't want to be driving around with splotches of primer on it for the next few years while worrying that I'm going to get pulled over for being a meth head.

Their shouldn't be any problems with using rattle can? I can still repaint it later, right? The rattle can, most likely, won't cause a reaction with the new paint, if I primer over top of it, right... right?

Stop freaking me out, people.

Think of this paint job as a band-aid. I need something to paint it while I'm working on it and I don't want to be driving around with splotches of primer on it for the next few years while worrying that I'm going to get pulled over for being a meth head.

Their shouldn't be any problems with using rattle can? I can still repaint it later, right? The rattle can, most likely, won't cause a reaction with the new paint, if I primer over top of it, right... right?

Stop freaking me out, people.

I have been doing the same thing with my brat; spot painting to abate rust until I can afford to do a really good full out paint job. I used a rattle can. Just make sure that you do at least 2-3 solid coats, and a clear coat (also rattle can) helped too. It's not perfect by any means, but it works temporarily.

If I plan on sanding off old paint before doing the new paint job, I don't see how rattle can paint will affect new paint. It hasn't had any effects on the old paint either except for a slight color mismatch, which doesn't bother me right now.

Edited by belacane

I've done quite a few rattle can band aid jobs, if I could make a recomendation on the paint use the krylon rust tough line.  The nozzle on the can fans the paint out in a similar spray pattern to an actual gun and it is so much easier to make a beter looking job with it. 

Here is the tailgate that I painted with Krylon. It still needs to be buffed and it has some dusty hand prints that could be washed off. Still looks a 1000x better than it did, and no that is not a dent.

post-47847-0-40469000-1367722799_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-40630400-1367722796_thumb.jpg

Rattle can baby!

Edited by Godsmulligan

• 2 weeks later...

too late, already started and everything is getting rattle caned, including interior (VHT vinyl and Plasticote) . just finished the wheels today. Plus I have a lot of body work to do and Plastidip doesn't sand very well. ;)

Thanks for the title change Baccaruda

Edited by Godsmulligan

The rims are back on. Gloss black with anodized red.

post-47847-0-27317500-1368816839_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-62599300-1368816842_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-82762600-1368816845_thumb.jpg

They look odd in comparison to the rest of the car, but eventually all the chrome is getting anodized red and of course the satin black.

Painted the hood last week. I think I'm gonna start on the inside this week. Everything goes satin black with red highlights.

kind of a twist on the 80's red and black. Almost had this thread changed to "Brat out of Hell"

• 2 weeks later...

thanks Bendecker

finished stripping the inside today, think I'm gonna upgrade the dash lights while it's out

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/69467-ea82-dashboard-backlights-upgrade-to-hid-white-led%C2%B4s/

also going to replace the heater core and fan brushes while I've got the dash out. Better now than later