Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brattle Can

Godsmulligan

While it's out... what condition is your dash in? Mine has one of the old coverlay caps on it, so it looks pretty good, but there is one crack right at the windshield that has developed. I've always been intrigued by the idea of pulling the dash and fiberglassing over it.

There's a pretty cool thread on a BMW board about dash repair. Unfortunately, the great pics that used to be on it have been pulled. The guy used a two part kit of SEM flexible plastic repair (part no. 39927) and the results were really good (again, they pulled the stinking pictures -- sigh...)

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/articles.html/_/technical-articles/body-and-interior/dash-repair-r21

Here's another one where the guy used upholstery vinyl, contact cement, and heated it up to get around all the corners:

Edited by bendecker

Found nuts in the heater vent, not allowing the vent to open. That would explain why the heater wouldn't get warm. Oh, and this...

post-47847-0-60676400-1370571598_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-16423900-1370571600_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-04514100-1370571602_thumb.jpg

more cancer to contend with

post-47847-0-99330600-1370571603_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-73844100-1370571605_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-64960100-1370571607_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-33852800-1370571611_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-36649400-1370571609_thumb.jpg

hope to start putting it back together next week. Got almost everything cleaned and painted, just waiting for a new heater core and led dash lights.

post-47847-0-19661400-1370571613_thumb.jpg

Edited by Godsmulligan

• 2 weeks later...

I got some painting done this week, new heater core in, dash in and some misc. Next week is all about getting the inside put back together and getting the glass in. I need to get the tarp off this thing and back on the road, so I can go camping. :D

Oh and I took care of 3 of the 5 rust problems pictured above...

Edited by Godsmulligan

I was gonna say, that last set of pictures made me sad as that is a lot of structural rust.  But, as you have said, "3 have been fixed".

What did you end up buying for the core?  Was it an OEM, aftermarket or used?

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since I've had time to work on the brat, but I've managed to get the heater back together along with all the vents. Spent the whole day painting today. Tomorrow I put it back together.

I was going to take my door locks in today and get them re-keyed, because they took different keys, but when I went to leave I couldn't find my keys for the brat (cheaper to get one re-keyed to match the other). I did find my old GL Wagon key from back in the day. I thought it would be cool to get the locks keyed to match the old Subaru. I put the key in the lock, just to make sure it would fit. It did. Not only that, it turned. I tried the other lock. It worked on that one too.

I now believe that my old Subaru key is the master key to all existing Subarus.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Been working on the Brat every chance I get. Couldn't get the back window in, the gasket kept trying to rip :(. The inside is almost back together; dash, gauges, glove box, all the plastic except for the center console and the stereo. the new carpet came today, cheap stuff but it will work. Just need a pair of 6x9s, seat covers, floor mats, window cranks and a new steering wheel. The car is looking good. I was going to get some pictures today but got carried away. Oh well, I'll try and grab some tomorrow.

How ya doing the stereo?

I was able to source an original Clarion AM radio and clock for my dash so I was thinking of just running a stereo in the glovebox and then wiring the entire car from scratch with some speakers in the rear behind the seats.

What are you planning?

Hmm, hadn't thought of the non-cd life we all live now.  I guess I don't need that either come to think about it.

But I do need the measly amp that is in the newer units to get somewhat good sound out of the speakers.

Do you know if the aux mod would work on a 1980 Clarion?

Not sure, first time I've done it. Does it have an Aux cable? I've heard the old clarion decks had some good power, so unless you are going to run high end speakers, I'm not sure you'll need an amp. It's a pretty small cab.

True and to be honest, now that the WRX seats are in mine, I only have room for tweeters, lol.

I cannot imagine this deck having aux inputs, lol.  I will look though.

No sub for this Sube.

Edited by O.C.D.

Mercy... that is dusty. Initially, I was scared by the title, but it's turning out pretty well. I like how you painted over the chrome. You may have inspired me to do that. How well did the dash turn out? It looks really good from the picture.

The dash turned out well. It's satin black same as the car. Used plasticote. It seemed to cover better than the vinyl paint. I did have a problem with the door panels  remaining sticky as a reaction to the paint. Not sure If I accidentally painted them with regular Krylon.

Underneath the dust it looks brand new.

I've redone a door panel on my Brat (haven't gotten pictures up, cause I'm lazy) I used Duplicolor vinyl fabric paint (or something) turned out extremely well. I think there is black even. I used grey, similar to factory. I was even able to clear over it. No flaking here, yet.

• 2 weeks later...

NOTE: do not use plasticote on anything squishy. Use vinyl paint on those. Plasticote reacts and makes them forever tacky. Plasticote still works great on the hard plastic. The key rule is, if you can scratch it with a screwdriver you can use plasticote, otherwise vinyl paint.

Thanks, Mykeys Toy

That Anodized red is turning out to be real junk. Not only does it flake off but it fades real qiuck. I'm hoping it's just the VHT and this other brand, I'm using now, will work better. :(

I did get the seats, and windows back in no pictures of those yet, but i did swing by the junk yard for some parts today, including a new console to mod.

post-47847-0-15804700-1376974876_thumb.jpg

That's plexiglass I glued on top

post-47847-0-66342800-1376974919_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-34094000-1376974922_thumb.jpg

post-47847-0-41405100-1376974924_thumb.jpg

I can't live without a cup holder. I was going to do 2 but decided not too. After working on it I think 2 would be easier to sand smooth.

Edited by Godsmulligan

Thanks O.C.D.

Here's  a couple photos of it finished

I stippled the paint job then sanded it with 400 and repainted to give it that vinyl look

post-47847-0-92567000-1377062575_thumb.jpg

here it is in the cab with the seats back in with seat covers from Walmart. They will do until I get actual racing seats.

post-47847-0-81508200-1377062578_thumb.jpg

Other than that I pulled out a dent in the back today, got the window trim back in, painted the window cranks and finished and installed the adapter plate for the cubby under the stereo.

Now I'm tired. :drunk:

Edited by Godsmulligan
  • Like 1