Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Impreza 1996 timing belt marks after crankshaft rotation

timing belt hash marks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tremmor

Tremmor

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Finland

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:01 PM

Hi!

I replaced timing belt and idlers in Subaru Impreza 1996 (ej20), removed pin from belt tensioner to tighten belt and after that rotated crankshaft pulley few times by hand. I was looking to see timing marks in pulleys and white lines in belt  to get aligned again but it didn't happen so I turned crankshaft maybe 20 more times. They still didn't align so I asked someone with more experience about the situation. His opinion was the marks should align so I figured that belt slipped when tensioner pin was removed causing this confusion.

So this evening I reinstalled belt paying attention that marks were ok in sprockets and belt and rotated crankshafk few times. Same result: when camshafts and crankshaft hashmarks were up the white lines in timing belt weren't. I'm starting to think they even shouln't realign but please verify if that's the case and if they should align what to check next as I'm running out of ideas with this. Thanks for help =)

#2 drugh

drugh

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • North Bend, WA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:40 PM

Don't worry about the marks on the belt lining up after rotation.  The marks are just there for the install.  

Just make sure the crank and cam pulley marks are pointing "up" every couple rotations as they did when you installed the belt.

#3 Tremmor

Tremmor

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Finland

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:48 PM

Most excellent, thank you for help! =)

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,860 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 29 April 2013 - 03:13 PM

You have to spin it like 168 times or something like that to make the marks on the belt line up again. Don't worry about those. As long as the marks all still point to the right place on the covers then its good to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users