Ultimate Subaru Message Board

empi cv axle part # needed

That is the EA81 front axle part number to the best of my knowledge. What is the problem you're having? Is it where the bearings run on the axle that is too big or the inner seal surface?

Assuming the EA82 is a different part #?  The bearing inside the wheel hub is too tight for the 80-5515 CV to fit into. Not by much but just enough where it will not insert in.  I retried the stock CV axle and it fits in no issue.

Count the splines on your old axle, then the new axle.

I believe the turbo axle had 25 splines.

My notes say the non-turbo 23 spline is part # 80-5504

The turbo 25 spline part # is 80-5505

But the spline difference is only on the differential side... so not sure why you're having problems at the wheel side.

The ea82 is a different part number but the wheel bearings themselves are the same size if I remember correctly.  The part number for your Brat is 80-5515.  The EMPI parts are being phased out so be aware of that and that getting a replacement may be next to impossible in the future after stock is depleted .  They sold their axle business to another company.  

• Like 1

Shawn,  So this CV Axle I have (80-5515) should work on my 86 Brat?

It just does not want to fit into the wheel bearing.. 

This 80-5515 has 23 spines on the inner side, 30 spine outside.

edit: does the CV axle need to be pressed onto the wheel bearing housing? I'm just trying to do it by hand.

Edited by epix

according to the Service manual the bearings, hub, and cv are supposed to be pressed together then installed as a unit, but most people dont actually do that.  in the old repair manual on this site there was a post with pictures where someone used 2 claw hammers and the axle nut to make a puller to get it through.  Mine went in easy, but I could see it being a pain.  be carefull with the outer bearing, I dont know if they can get crooked from reefing on them, or if that may be your problem.

There is a tool that pulls it thru the hub.  I have 2 of them but they essentially thread onto the end of the axle and it pushes against the hub while you pull the threaded end thru.  

Like this but mine doesnt look exactly like their photo.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/otc-tools/product-line/otc-subaru-front-axle-shaft-installers

I had an EA82 axle that would not go together.  It would not go into the bearing far enough to get the axle nut on at all.  Pulling it out pulled the inner bearing with it.  I took it back to NAPA, who pulled the bearing off with a press. They had a devil of a time with it. Something was not right with that axle.

What make is the CV joint?  Does/did Empi make them too, or assemble complete shafts using other firm's parts?

• 11 months later...

Several threads on the subject, so I'll just put this here.

Ordered a set of EMPI 80-5515 for my hatch. They showed up in the same blue and red box as the last set I got three or four years ago.

One slight variation: The box says "EMPIRE" not "EMPI." (I found the old boxes with my old axles in the attic for comparison.) Part # on the box is correct.

Much to my dismay, the contents are "Surtrack" # 8010. Research says these are Chinese made, but no info on quality. The connecting (middle) shafts are noticeably smaller, but the ends appear to be correct. Two different boot styles on the outside. Insides are the same, though clamped in different spots. I'll fix that before installation.

Just an FYI. I'm going to put these on and reboot my old ones for spares in case these are short lived.

Dan

I ordered mine via a seller on eBay out of Detroit.  They were EMPI for sure on the units I got.. brand new and appeared to be very good quality.  I've only put about 600 miles on the car since installing them but no issues yet.

• 11 months later...

Several threads on the subject, so I'll just put this here.

Ordered a set of EMPI 80-5515 for my hatch. They showed up in the same blue and red box as the last set I got three or four years ago.

One slight variation: The box says "EMPIRE" not "EMPI." (I found the old boxes with my old axles in the attic for comparison.) Part # on the box is correct.

Much to my dismay, the contents are "Surtrack" # 8010. Research says these are Chinese made, but no info on quality. The connecting (middle) shafts are noticeably smaller, but the ends appear to be correct. Two different boot styles on the outside. Insides are the same, though clamped in different spots. I'll fix that before installation.

Just an FYI. I'm going to put these on and reboot my old ones for spares in case these are short lived.

Dan

Update on the Surtracks.

Less than a year and the drivers side went bye bye. I'm actually seeing them marketed under their own name now, so beware if you see them.

Dan

• 8 months later...

Update on the Surtracks.

Less than a year and the drivers side went bye bye. I'm actually seeing them marketed under their own name now, so beware if you see them.

Dan

Update part 2:

Passenger side has just let go in spectacular fashion.

Found FEQ makes new ones. Just got one, and it is well put together out of the box. I'll keep all updated as to how this works out.

Dan