Ultimate Subaru Message Board

honda boys talking smack. need motor ideas

So I just started a new job, and everyone owns a Honda of some sort. Was "challenged" to a race today by the "big boy" Honda. 2.0 vtec with high compression pistons custom ground cam and other worthless add ons. Need ideas to build a budget motor to smoke his rump roast. I have a 93 loyale 4wd 5speed wagon ea82... Do I find an ej or with some finessing will a es make Honda beating power to shut him up?

Edited by drake13

If the kid can drive and that engine is built right you're gonna need a wrx swap to beat it.

I've had a built b20 vtec back in my racing days, my buddy's vf39, sti tmic, sti injector, 3" tbe, spt intake. cobb access port tuned 04 wrx couldn't hang.

i'd suggest enjoying the loyale for what it is and don't let other people dictate how you make choices or need to show anybody anything.

that being said, how much do you want to spend?

just look at power numbers and see what you want and how much you can afford.  i don't know anything but subarus but that honda probably makes 150 - 200 hp?  the EA82 is definitely not going to come anywhere close to that so it'll require a swap and like they said honda's are light.

good EJ swap is going to cost $500 - $1,500 depending how well it's done.  $500 in parts alone (not including motor) - headgaskets, delta cams, timing kit.

EJ25 blocks are a good starting point but buying a used one is tough, gotta get lucky or take your chances on a cheap one that's going to loose it's rod bearings next year because it's been overheated (common for EJ25's).

• Like 2

indeed...and weak struts, brakes, sway bars, bushings....

good comments on being completely different vehicles.  "i got more passenger space than your motorcycle!"  who cares.

you don't get a loyale for racing, enjoy it for why you got it in the first place and you'll be true to yourself, and better off than the guys trying to impress with a piece of metal and their ability to push a gas pedal.

but of course, playing with motors is cool so go for it if you're so inclined...i get that too.

Just take him down a dirt road, show him what loyale taillights look like lol

I have a buddy at work with a built honda crx. He wants to run me so bad. I told him we would go 60ft in the dry, or 1/4mi, in the rain lol. The difference is, him, and i have a good natured rivalry, and I have a MUCH more rare car (XT6)

I know he would smoke me in the dry. I really dont care, i know I'll be driving my subie, long after he has rebuilt, and destroyed his honda lol

Edited by crazyhorse001

Yeah, just choose your road.  Lots of gravel, bumps, and a rut or two. Snow at higher elevations right now.   And spread the race over 2 days.  You can sleep in the car at the top of the mountain, while he is stuck in a hole with something broken, half way up. 

Then drive back and pull him out.  If you can find somewhere on his Honda where you can attach a rope without damaging it!

Yeah, ask him how much he's spent on it. And a power increase percentage.

What you can do it find an EJ18 or 22 (the 2.2 is WAY more common, IMO), swap it, then show him you did it way cheaper. And you have 4WD. And you're a wagon. And you still weigh less. and you still have money in the bank. and aren't an idiot.

and what chassis is he running? A civic I imagine, but just like the Subarus, it it's the late 90s or 00s, their weight jumped pretty good too.. (at least an extra 200-300 lbs..)

Point is, do an investment race. You're already lightyears ahead.

Dang, lots of ea82 hate in here..

not really hate (well, GD hasn't posted yet lol).  EA82 = 90 hp. There's zero chance of getting to 200 hp with that motor...particularly on a "budget".

vehicle you referenced is not an EA82...it's an EA82T and FI is far more responsive to modifications he can't do...so it's not relevant to him modifying his engine.

If a swap is an option, an EA82T has the lowest stock power output of the most common starting points:

An EJ swap starts with 50% more hp than an EA82T, a turbo EJ engine is capable of twice that.

So I just started a new job, and everyone owns a Honda of some sort. Was "challenged" to a race today by the "big boy" Honda. 2.0 vtec with high compression pistons custom ground cam and other worthless add ons. Need ideas to build a budget motor to smoke his rump roast. I have a 93 loyale 4wd 5speed wagon ea82... Do I find an ej or with some finessing will a es make Honda beating power to shut him up?

I would shut him up by pointing out how weak his Honda must be if he's trying to challenge a Loyale.  Really?  That's some weak sauce.  Any street car can be suped up with money, but as others have pointed out, they lack utility.  When I see a Honda bouncing down the road with 2 inches of clearance because they cut their springs, then attached a fart can and wind up their engine any chance they get, I just see a tool behind the wheel.  Don't lower yourself (pun not intended) to their level.  You've already demonstrated that your a more sensible person just by your choice in vehicles.  

• Like 1