Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ABS light

Have a 95 2.2L Legacy  with 130K miles.  Light comes on and stays on after few minutes.  Went to A/Z and tried to have them "erase the stored" codes etc. No sucess! M/C is full. We live in Mts and wife's car and front rotors have a slight warp as there is vibration when braking moderately . Issue??  Plenty of pad left and not any "tell tale" contact. I used air and brake cleaner to  remove all dust etc without removing sensors.   I tried to remove one of them  by removing one stud flange but was unsucessful. It looked as if it should pull up but after tapping it appeared to be very tight and due to age  possibly slightly  coroded?  What a sentence!!!  

Any suggestion for a driver of many Subaru's for 30 years??

no place will be able to read those codes except $ubaru but you don't want to pay them to do it. 

not related to vibration, MC, or anything brake related, they're separate components in a sense.  you can have insanely warn and broken calipers/pads/rotors and the ABS won't care...i mean if it's bad enough it'll just cause complete failure anda  wreck and then the light will come on...but you get my point, unrelated typically.

are the rear lights all working properly?  brake lights in the hatch or trunk area?  if the lights, bulbs, or circuits are faulty in any way back there they can confound the seen voltage by the controller and set the code.

best bet is to read the codes.  there's a connector above the gas pedal, and two grounding pins taped into the wiring harness.  remove those pins (or just use any wire connected to ground) and insert into the lower right corner pin of the harness as you're facing it (and the tab is at the top).  the ABS light will then blink the codes for you - count the blinks.  the first set will be slow blinks - that's 10 each. the second set will be faster - those are 1.   not hard to find pictures of the connector online if you want to search.  it's generally up there by two green connectors too.

so if it blinks slow TWICE and then fast Three times - that's a code 23 (for example).

with the code it'll be much easier to track down.  just count and then google the code (or codes) you get.  the codes flash successfully if there are more than one.

easiest fixes are simply cleaning off the ABS sensors that get debris attached to them.

this is all the case for 1996 and up Subarus...I assume a 1995 will fit the bill as well.

Edited by grossgary