Ultimate Subaru Message Board

lifting my 95 impreza

Subie57

I just recieved my lift from SJR Lifts. It looks amazing great quality, precision drilling for the mounting holes and precision cuts and breaks on the mounts. I am lifting my 95 Impreza went with a 6 in lift forester xt struts, bassett wheels with a 3 inch back spacing the wheels r 15x7 steelies. The struts r KYB GR-2. To help with gearing because I haven't found a dual range trans yet I am swapping out the 3.90 diffs for the 4.44 diffs that come in the automatic outback. That should help with some lower gearing.post-47753-0-93205700-1367522901_thumb.jpg

Edited by Subie57

so you are going to tear apart a completely good 5MT to convert it to 4.44......  ?  Or is the car already an automatic?  IF so you need a 98 Forester tranny and rear end.   And flex plate.   Problem solved.  5MT is a completely different story.

Have you ever had a 5MT apart before?  Do you understand anything about sideload on bearings and pinion depth and how to set up a ring and pinion?  If not I dont recommend getting into what you are talking bout.  

You have a 3 inch lift, meaning you might be able to fit ~27 inch tires under that car.  A 2.2L with 3.9 gearing will turn those just fine.  If you were trying to turn 29 inch tires with a EJ25D (where the power doesnt come on til 4500+rpm) then I'd say its time to regear.

I have 29 inch tires on my outback with 4.11 gears and a EJ25D and it has no issues getting up and going.  Your car is gonna most likely have a EJ22E and they make their power at the bottom end.    Just sayin look into what you are wanting to build a bit before you start talking about major surgery on a tranny.

Have you addressed the top hat issue with the struts yet?  Legacy and Forester run the same size top hats on the struts,  Impreza runs a smaller pattern. 

• 3 weeks later...