Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Greetings suby owner's any SVX owners?

Whassup all, I I currently the proud owner of 2 Subies my00 RS and my92 svx. My is svx is a project car which im looking to convert to rear wheel drive the 90/10 awd split is not working for me plus im on my second trans and im not about to install another 4eat pos transmission into my svx again. I already own a 2.5RS so I still get to enjoy the the benefits of awd. I have already contacted a few machine shops for the transmission adapter however it appears some maybe to busy to touch base with me the only one who has contacted me is Bill's auto fabrication regarding a bellhousing for my svx to to install a Borg Warner T5 or a T56 they are fairly inexpensive Plus very easy to rebuild would anyone be interested in this setup?

• Like 1

Thought about a 2 speed power glide behind a subaru engine why do you not like the 4 eat ? i have done many in svx i upgrade them to outback forward drum and clutches put in 4.44 gears from outback and a high stall torque converter from 2wd 4 eat and upgrade the awd to the black steels and increase the flow to awd for better awd. a rwd svx whould be cool I think whould tear up rear end perty quwick

• Like 1

I've got one myself. If you're on your third transmission, I'd check the cooler lines and such, as if one of them is plugged (or full of metal shavings from the old transmission) it will take out the new one. There are a few people over at the SVX World Network who have over 100k on the original transmission with no problems. 

And from personal experience, swapping in a 4.11 or 4.44 transmission from an Outback makes the SVX much more fun to drive :-) If you really want to make it rear wheel drive, there are adaptors that go in the transmission that take the place of the viscous coupling in a manual transmission, making it a 50:50 lock front to rear, do that and pull the front axles. (By "pull" I mean remove the outer joint from the shaft; the part the goes through the hub is required, but you can disassemble it from the shaft and put the end back through the hub) Such a device MIGHT exist for the automatic, but I doubt it.

Yes the I agree I coukd go with an upgraded 4eat but I already have an awd impreza so a rwd svx with T5 or or T56 would be much more fun even automatic will do I think I have more options with the rear wheel drive find them cheap and in abundance And they are super easy to rebuild. Besides folks out there ask way to much for subaru transmissions.

• 4 weeks later...

Ingredients for an all subie 5spd rwd setup:

Impreza 5spd, welder, disassembled front axles.

Open up the trans, weld the center diff solid.

Take the outer axle stubs, and install into the knuckles, rinse repeat with the inners.

Be prepared for off throttle understeer, and snap oversteer on throttle.

I converted the 2nd 4eat to rwd on my svx. It didnt handle scary, or funky. But it did transition to oversteer in a hurry, with little notice.

Edited by crazyhorse001