Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea 81 exhaust, what you guys running?

Need to put a new muffler on the Brat and was wondering what set-ups you guys are running. Don't want something terribly loud as in do a lot of highway driving. My '81 had a Cherry Bomb/ Glass pack (Disturbing the peace since 1968) on it and sounded pretty good place about half way thru the system.

Edited by jonas

I'm running an 1800 brat muffler on my 1600, talk about quiet ;) I would say if your going do cheap a glass pack off the resonater would make it sound cool, but it'll be loud, if you want quiet I would get one from napa order it by size and shape, that saved me $$$ on my sameri.

I have a thrush turbo muffler, and it sounds pretty good. Not overly loud on the highway, but you can hear it...and a nice burbly idle

yeah, that sounds (pun!) like what i'm after. NO FART CANS!

My 84 wagon runs a gutted cat, into a two inch straight pipe to a straight through 4 inch muffler that dumps befor the rear axle. It's kinda loud on long road trips but flows freely and I can feel the difference between it and a restricted stick exhaust. The engine seems to breath easier.

• 3 weeks later...

I had my '86 BRAT running with a stock exhaust and hollowed out cat for a while, but there were some leaks in it and it was rusted out bad. Took it to a local muffler shop after my dad got a dual exhaust for his '91 Dodge Ram with a 318. We told them to go from the cat back and replace it all, but they cut off the cat too and didn't even put in a new cat. It's quite as hell though.

I have a thrush turbo muffler, and it sounds pretty good. Not overly loud on the highway, but you can hear it...and a nice burbly idle

Thats what I have. Had to mod the tubing for the larger diameter muffler though.. I can't hear it over the weber.. I might like it better if I could silence the carb.

84 wagon, I have a gutted cat, that goes to 2'' into a turbo muffler. A little louder that i would like, i think cause the gutted cat acts like a lil reverb chamber. Even though it is a little loud, it is better that having that stupid super restrictive stock muffler.

On my previous car (86 hatchback) I had a custom y-pipe with no cat into 2'' with about 2 feet of cherry bomb (or whatever you wanna call it) in the middle and no muffler. It sounded amazing, not too loud, just gooood. I kick myself about every week that i didn't keep that y-pipe. sigh.