Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ea 81 exhaust, what you guys running?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

Need to put a new muffler on the Brat and was wondering what set-ups you guys are running. Don't want something terribly loud as in do a lot of highway driving. My '81 had a Cherry Bomb/ Glass pack (Disturbing the peace since 1968) on it and sounded pretty good place about half way thru the system.

Edited by jonas, 03 May 2013 - 11:27 AM.

#2 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:48 AM

I'm running an 1800 brat muffler on my 1600, talk about quiet ;) I would say if your going do cheap a glass pack off the resonater would make it sound cool, but it'll be loud, if you want quiet I would get one from napa order it by size and shape, that saved me $$$ on my sameri.

#3 BratRod

BratRod

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 502 posts
  • Dallas, Texas

Posted 03 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

Have a near 20Yo cherrybomb on my brat... Sets off every car alarm i can find :grin:

#4 spazomatic

spazomatic

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • castle rock

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:05 PM

I have a thrush turbo muffler, and it sounds pretty good. Not overly loud on the highway, but you can hear it...and a nice burbly idle

#5 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

I have a thrush turbo muffler, and it sounds pretty good. Not overly loud on the highway, but you can hear it...and a nice burbly idle

yeah, that sounds (pun!) like what i'm after. NO FART CANS!

#6 Mechanical_misfit

Mechanical_misfit

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 421 posts
  • Muskegon, MI

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

My 84 wagon runs a gutted cat, into a two inch straight pipe to a straight through 4 inch muffler that dumps befor the rear axle. It's kinda loud on long road trips but flows freely and I can feel the difference between it and a restricted stick exhaust. The engine seems to breath easier.

#7 Chaos Fluffy

Chaos Fluffy

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Prattville

Posted 25 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

I had my '86 BRAT running with a stock exhaust and hollowed out cat for a while, but there were some leaks in it and it was rusted out bad. Took it to a local muffler shop after my dad got a dual exhaust for his '91 Dodge Ram with a 318. We told them to go from the cat back and replace it all, but they cut off the cat too and didn't even put in a new cat. It's quite as hell though.

#8 Mykeys Toy

Mykeys Toy

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 2,005 posts
  • South Prairie, Wa

Posted 25 May 2013 - 06:29 PM

Thats what I have. Had to mod the tubing for the larger diameter muffler though.. I can't hear it over the weber.. I might like it better if I could silence the carb.

#9 chrisgpz

chrisgpz

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  • seattle

Posted 25 May 2013 - 11:39 PM

84 wagon, I have a gutted cat, that goes to 2'' into a turbo muffler. A little louder that i would like, i think cause the gutted cat acts like a lil reverb chamber. Even though it is a little loud, it is better that having that stupid super restrictive stock muffler.

On my previous car (86 hatchback) I had a custom y-pipe with no cat into 2'' with about 2 feet of cherry bomb (or whatever you wanna call it) in the middle and no muffler. It sounded amazing, not too loud, just gooood. I kick myself about every week that i didn't keep that y-pipe. sigh.

#10 goblewagon

goblewagon

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  • goble oregon

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:45 AM

my 82 wagon is running a stock y-pipe gutted cat and is straight piped all the way back to a stinger tail pipe from a VW. It really gets your attention :D

#11 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:11 PM

thanks guys. I had a Cherry Bomb on my '81 Brat and i liked it. Leaning back that way........

Edited by jonas, 27 May 2013 - 04:13 PM.

#12 jonas

jonas

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 990 posts
  • Oakridge

Posted 27 May 2013 - 04:14 PM

Hey, from what i see your wagon looks nice!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users