Ultimate Subaru Message Board

i replace as many of the orings as you can easily access - but it's really only the a/c orings that are hard and brittle usually.

follow the lines and you'll find the easily accessible ones on the passengers side front and by the rear strut tower.  but those little tiny ones are also hard to match up size wise, though i've always found one close enough to work in the generic kits and gotten hundreds of thousands of miles out of them with no failures yet.

• 1 year later...

I've found the Subaru A/C clutches wear out and can be adjusted without discharging refrigerant or even removing the belt.

Use feeler gage to check gap between plate and clutch. Should run around 0.017". Mine failed to engage at 0.045". Remove the center bolt. Thread long screws into holes in the clutch plate. (Mine had three) These screws will press the clutch off the front of the compressor.

From back side of center bore in clutch plate, remove spacer washers. Measure thickness (not all the same) and remove such as to reduce the gap measured earlier to a more appropriate width. (0.010"-0.020" should do)

You will need a longer center bolt to begin pressing the clutch plate back on. Install original center bolt, tighten and re measure gap. Test system.

I learned from a better thread with all required info but cannot recall the source.

BTW: after 18 months without A/C, it's now cold again!

I've found the Subaru A/C clutches wear out and can be adjusted without discharging refrigerant or even removing the belt.

Use feeler gage to check gap between plate and clutch. Should run around 0.017". Mine failed to engage at 0.045". Remove the center bolt. Thread long screws into holes in the clutch plate. (Mine had three) These screws will press the clutch off the front of the compressor.

From back side of center bore in clutch plate, remove spacer washers. Measure thickness (not all the same) and remove such as to reduce the gap measured earlier to a more appropriate width. (0.010"-0.020" should do)

You will need a longer center bolt to begin pressing the clutch plate back on. Install original center bolt, tighten and re measure gap. Test system.

I learned from a better thread with all required info but cannot recall the source.

BTW: after 18 months without A/C, it's now cold again!

I had those instructions.  My compressor had 3 rivets instead of 3 screws.  Mine was decidedly NOT rebuildable.  Believe me, I tried.  I bought a pulley removal tool kit.  I tried the single bolt.  I tried everything!  What eventually worked for me was buying a used one, having the mechanic discharge the system, then I installed the used one and had the mechanic recharge the system.  The method gave me the best balance of environmental care and affordability I could find.