Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

need a headgasket set but my engine is not original...

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 mightGETaSUBARU

mightGETaSUBARU

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Kansas City, MO

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:20 PM

well I was almost done but one of the bolts on the cam bearings is rounded off...  it was like that before I got to it...  picking up an Irwin extractor set in the morning (mine got left at my last job...  not too happy about that)

Edited by mightGETaSUBARU, 12 May 2013 - 11:20 PM.

#27 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 20,093 posts
  • WV

Posted 13 May 2013 - 02:27 AM

woah, almost done, well done boss!

rounded off, that sucks.  knocking the bolt head at an angle with a chisel/hammer should loosen it up.  those bolts are really loose once the first intital breakage is made.

good luck buttoning it up!

#28 mightGETaSUBARU

mightGETaSUBARU

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Kansas City, MO

Posted 13 May 2013 - 03:20 PM

ok got it all off, I could not quite see the blow, BUT the machinist found it, he says you can see a small dip in the head where it blew too, bu all in all he says they look really good

As for getting the rounded off bolt off, I tried everything, smacking it with a hammer a few times, harbor freight bolt extractor kit, Irwin bolt extractor kit and finally I just welded and old wrench to the bolt...  problem solved

#29 mightGETaSUBARU

mightGETaSUBARU

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Kansas City, MO

Posted 16 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Went to the machine shop, happy with the results...  he said the heads had between 4 and 5 thousandths in some places.  I have used this guy several times in teh past, he usually gets done same or next day, which is awesome, he does your basic check for leaks and deck until it's flat.  Funny 

thing is he ran his hand over the heads when he first got them and said that it would be around 4 or 5 thousandths...  that man called it

When to the Subaru dealership and picked up what I needed, Now I just need some gasket goop and something to clean the deck with

#30 mightGETaSUBARU

mightGETaSUBARU

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Kansas City, MO

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

Heads are back on.  Hope to get everything running tomorrow

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users