Ultimate Subaru Message Board

need a headgasket set but my engine is not original...

well I was almost done but one of the bolts on the cam bearings is rounded off...  it was like that before I got to it...  picking up an Irwin extractor set in the morning (mine got left at my last job...  not too happy about that)

Edited by mightGETaSUBARU

woah, almost done, well done boss!

rounded off, that sucks.  knocking the bolt head at an angle with a chisel/hammer should loosen it up.  those bolts are really loose once the first intital breakage is made.

good luck buttoning it up!

ok got it all off, I could not quite see the blow, BUT the machinist found it, he says you can see a small dip in the head where it blew too, bu all in all he says they look really good

As for getting the rounded off bolt off, I tried everything, smacking it with a hammer a few times, harbor freight bolt extractor kit, Irwin bolt extractor kit and finally I just welded and old wrench to the bolt...  problem solved

Went to the machine shop, happy with the results...  he said the heads had between 4 and 5 thousandths in some places.  I have used this guy several times in teh past, he usually gets done same or next day, which is awesome, he does your basic check for leaks and deck until it's flat.  Funny 

thing is he ran his hand over the heads when he first got them and said that it would be around 4 or 5 thousandths...  that man called it

When to the Subaru dealership and picked up what I needed, Now I just need some gasket goop and something to clean the deck with

IMG_20130516_085906_zpsf466999e.jpg

IMG_20130515_154118_zpscfc2892e.jpg