Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1999 Neglected legacy slowly being nursed back to life

Hello!  I am a new Subaru owner who is starting out with a 1999 Legacy L (GT trim, wooo, heh) that has apparently been neglected for much of its life (no oil when I got it, banged up, missing a turn signal, and anyone know where to get replacement rear quarter glass?  does no one make it anymore or is ebay the best bet?).  I am a Jeeper, but I was looking for something a bit more practical.  reliability, quality, AWD, better mileage than a heep and maybe a bit of power were my top priorities (and inexpensive, cant forget that!).  the Subarus seemed like a top choice, and, well, here I am!

Welcome to USMB. No oil, or just low on oil?? Does the motor run? If running, keep an eye on the temp gauge that the motor isn't over heating. There is no idiot light warning of over heating, just the gauge. The motor in your Leggie has a reputation of blowing head gaskets and over heating. I hope your car isn't suffering from this problem.

Post your questions here. Lots of people willing to help you with good advise.

Regards,

Rooster2

Thanks for the welcome! When i got it, she was about 4 quarts low, enough for the oil pressure light to come on periodically. It did have a recent oil change sticker, but that really doesn't mean much. I did a change and haven't noticed any leaks or smoke so it doesn't appear to have suffered any damage, i will keep an eye out for head gasket issues though. Only other major issue now is the starter solenoid which i posted in another thread, and the speedometer randomly ceasing to operate (i already did the speedometer wiring trick i have read about to no effect, did get a cel for speed sensor though). It is an automatic, and all i could find for sensor issues were for manuals. Overall though i have been enjoying the leggie! Thanks again!

make sure all the tires are the same model and wear-level. Make sure there's no fuse in the FWD position in the fuse box under the hood on the driver's side. Then, take it for some tight circles on dry pavement to check for torque bind.

should be able to idle through tight circles and figure 8s without bucking or banging.

Thanks for the welcome! When i got it, she was about 4 quarts low, enough for the oil pressure light to come on periodically. It did have a recent oil change sticker, but that really doesn't mean much. I did a change and haven't noticed any leaks or smoke so it doesn't appear to have suffered any damage, i will keep an eye out for head gasket issues though. Only other major issue now is the starter solenoid which i posted in another thread, and the speedometer randomly ceasing to operate (i already did the speedometer wiring trick i have read about to no effect, did get a cel for speed sensor though). It is an automatic, and all i could find for sensor issues were for manuals. Overall though i have been enjoying the leggie! Thanks again!

I wouldn't be surprised if the car leaks more oil then it burns. Look for oil spots on the pavement, where you park over night.

Hehe, no fuse in the "Subaru appreciation box". :-) mine is actually located on the passenger side just behind the shock tower, took me a bit of looking to figure out what it was. No oil spots have been noted where I park, I even left some newspaper out under the engine for a few days with nothing of note on it. Seems to pass the circle test just fine, no binding noted. I do need new tires soon, the previous owner put on 205/55r15s and ran them bald. What size tires are recommended for a 15" rim? Any suspension upgrades recommended since the rear springs/shocks are worn (going outback o r the like), and how would that impact your selection? So many questions, sorry if these have been beaten to death before, lol