Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Ignition Lock Cylinder Removal (older generation 1980 brat)

ignition switch lock cylinder key switch

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brock Samson

Brock Samson

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 11 May 2013 - 12:28 PM

Anyone know of a good DIY on removing the lock cylinder.  Mine is busted and i just want to knock all the tumblers out and have my legacy key work in it.

Attached File  IMGP0145.JPG   249.64K   21 downloadsAttached File  IMGP0140.JPG   127.75K   27 downloadsAttached File  IMGP2228.JPG   218.09K   25 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by Brock Samson, 11 May 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#2 vwBrat

vwBrat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Grants Pass OR

Posted 18 May 2013 - 11:47 AM

On my 80 Brat I had no key.  Someone had put in an aftermarket switch.  The lock cylinder came out pretty easily.  From the point where you have it in the picture there was just a small set screw in the side and it slipped out.  The local locksmith rekeyed it and gave me a pair of keys for about $25.  I put it all back together and it works great.

#3 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 18 May 2013 - 08:20 PM

Ya usually If you can get it out a lock smith will rekey it for cheap.

#4 Brock Samson

Brock Samson

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Nebraska

Posted 20 May 2013 - 09:14 PM

wow thanks for the info guys!  I carefully poked around and to remove metal crud then blasted it out with carb cleaner.  then wd-40. then carefully forced the key back in and now it works again.  not the smoothest lock but it works

#5 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 21 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

Brake cleaner would work better probably since it doesn't leave any residue unlike carb cleaner.

#6 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,932 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 21 May 2013 - 11:51 PM

Now that you got it working get a bottle of TriFlow from a bike shop or locksmith.  Its what a majority of locksmiths I have been to sell and one even said its the only thing you should ever put in a lock.  

#7 danrenfroe2016

danrenfroe2016

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 225 posts
  • Dallas, Texas

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:20 AM

OK, meight as well bring this up. My Key is stuck in the ignition... been this way over a year and I drive almost everyday so i am afread to wongleflute with it.

any thoughts? can the cylinder be removed with the key inside? Thanks.

-Daniel

#8 vwBrat

vwBrat

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
  • Grants Pass OR

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:41 AM

The only things holding mine in were the tight fit on the trim ring and the setscrew.  It comes out toward the key, so a key in it shouldn't be in the way.  I would think it should come out and then you can take it to a locksmith to fix.  It's worth trying.  Be careful and if it doesn't come out you've lost nothing but a little time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users