Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

fuel pump engine rotate sensor

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 jim milewski

jim milewski

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • morrisville

Posted 11 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

Hi, my Legacy won't start, has spark, turns over, sounds like it's gonna start (for a second or two) then just cranks like out of fuel or spark, but as I said I have spark although plugs have not been checked. I disconnected the fuel line and turned the key on, I get about a second or two of fuel flow then it stops, I know the ECU and fuel pump at some point needs verification the engine is spinning from a rotation sensor (located at the driver side intake cam?). Any help appreciated....thanks

#2 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,303 posts
  • Texas

Posted 11 May 2013 - 03:42 PM

some legacies and outbacks have a problem with a cap and swollen o-ring on the fuel pump.

um, what year and model car do you have? what is its history, mileage and general condition?

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 7,897 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Year?
The ECU controls ground for the fuel pump relay and primes the system for about two seconds when the key is turned to ON. Once the prime is done the fuel pump turns off.
You may still have low fuel pressure though.
Or you could be flooding because the ECU thinks the engine is too cold. Or it could be too lean because the ECU thinks the engine is hot.

Have you tried starting fluid? Don't need much just a quick shot or two should do it of you do indeed have spark.

#4 jim milewski

jim milewski

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • morrisville

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:17 PM

thanks, it's a 98 with 150,000 with a 2.5 DOHC, I;m gonna do the starting fluid

#5 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Members
  • 4,303 posts
  • Texas

Posted 11 May 2013 - 04:20 PM

is the check engine light on?

#6 jim milewski

jim milewski

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • morrisville

Posted 15 May 2013 - 05:24 AM

yes, check engine lite disclosed fault with crank position sensor, I swapped it cause I had another, no better, same deal, my question is now this, can the engine "jump" timing by a tooth or two on the belt, I know being a 2.5 dohc it's an interference engine and will lock up if timing jumps enough, could this have jumped just enough to inhibit starting? I will add there is a faint to distinct "popping or backfire" in the intake at times when it turns over, as I said fuel and spark are present, still don't know if fuel pressure is up to spec, starting fluid couldn't make it run either.

#7 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Members
  • 4,303 posts
  • Texas

Posted 15 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

yes, check engine lite disclosed fault with crank position sensor, I swapped it cause I had another, no better, same deal, my question is now this, can the engine "jump" timing by a tooth or two on the belt, I know being a 2.5 dohc it's an interference engine and will lock up if timing jumps enough, could this have jumped just enough to inhibit starting? I will add there is a faint to distinct "popping or backfire" in the intake at times when it turns over, as I said fuel and spark are present, still don't know if fuel pressure is up to spec, starting fluid couldn't make it run either.

It sounds like you still have the CPS failure code?

yes, you need to confirm timing. If the CPS disagrees with the cam position sensor, the ECU won't start the car.

#8 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 7,897 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 09:53 AM

If timing jumped 1-2 teeth the engine will not lock up. More than that and it would just bend the valves and keep cranking.
Definitely need to check timing at this point.

#9 jim milewski

jim milewski

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • morrisville

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:32 AM

turning it over with the coil pack voltage unplugged to stop plugs from firing (to get a sense of the turn over rhythm) the engine has a definite "skip" and is not uniform but erratic, probably salvage parts off it for my 98 Forester and get $100 for scrap at this point, besides the engine the rust has done quite a number

#10 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,903 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:43 AM

+ 1 crank senser or timing belt out

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users