Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch Cable problems - 82 GL wagon

hey guys, i have an 82 GL wagon with what i think is a clutch cable issue.

So, without warning, i was diving home when i lost all sense of resistance fom the clutch cable. I checked out the lines and found out that it must be the cable running from the pedal to the shiter-thing on the transmission. when i move the clutch pedal the cable housing moves, but the shifter thing does not. I checked the other cable with a spring, and that has good tension and rebounds back into place. The shifter thing does not move by hand pressure.

So im 99% sure it is the cable that runs directly fom the clutch pedal.

My question now is, how hard is this to replace, what do i need (besides the cable), and how in the hell do i go abou doing this. what tools might i need?

Im currently located in Redmond, WA, so if anyone near here has an idea of how its done, i would GREATLY appreciate it if i didn't have to tow the car all the way back up to Mountlake Terrace where i live.

Anways, most important thing is how do i replace the cable, and wha do i need to do so.

Thanks guys, i really appreciate any ino on this. I cannot survive (or even get to work for that matter) unless this car is working.

-Scott

Just need a 12mm and 14mm wrench.  Pliers wouldn't hurt.  10mm all over your vehicle.  I like screwdrivers alot.  I usually have a pocket knife.  Small LED flashlights in every vehicle I own.

Keep the cable from spinning when tightening.   Stick your head under the steering wheel where the cable hooks up to the pedal assembly.   Be sure the route the new cable the same way.   Note the route BEFORE removing the old cable.

On the subject of clutch cables, my '83 Hatchie clutch pedal is extremely hard to push in.   The PO installed a new clutch cable OVER the steering and heater hoses.   I took it apart and installed the cable correctly.  Set the adjustment to about 1/4" free play.  I thought that might fix the hard to push pedal.

However, the pedal is still very hard to push in.     The clutch dis-engages near the top of the pedal.   Clutch is strong... front tires 'bark' if I take off too quickly.

So... what... do I need more free play?   Or is the clutch fork bent?

Okay guys i got it figured out :-)

I had to really work at the old clutch cable, but i ound that the cable itself wasn't the problem, it was the grommet right next to the clutch pedal that went out. So it wasn't staying in place and as a result the whole cable (including the sleeve) would move, but not give any resistance against the spring. So it all had to be replaced. I made sure to route it back the way it came in. Eveything is working fin, just needs some adjustment to get the free play a little better.

On another note, the tumblers in my ignition totally broke on me today, so i had to take apart part of the ignition cylinder (the place where the keys go) and now i get to start the thing with a good old trusty flathead screwdriver.

As of right now, i havent found anywhere that has a replacement cylinder. But like i said, it happened this morning, so i havent had much time to look Do you guys have any ideas were i might be able to find somethin like that? how much it might cost, and, in all honesty, is it even worth dealing with or should i look into just forgetting about it and installing a pushbutton start or something.

Ill keep my eyes out for the part, im not in any rush at the moment.

as always, thanks for all the suggestions and help guys :) I'm really glad my friend pointed me in the direction of this forum when i bought the GL.