Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

replacing muffler

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 92 loyale

92 loyale

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • boston

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:35 AM

recently bought a 92 loyale and would like to replace the muffler assembly myself. (just the assembly, not the front or rear exhaust pipe,)
i know my way around basic mechanics, but nothing too fancy. is this job doable on my own? what do i do about any intense corrosion/rust i might find at the gasket between the rear pipe and the assembly?
thanks

#2 greggbrat

greggbrat

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 263 posts
  • Denver Colorado

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:38 AM

If the muffler was welded on then the task gets much more difficult. If you have lots of rust on the flange then a new flange will also be needed to be welded on. If you have welding equipment go for it.......otherwise your best bet might be to head to the muffler shop.

#3 Storydude1

Storydude1

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 167 posts
  • NW AZ

Posted 08 May 2012 - 05:38 PM

LOL WUT?

Sawzall, universal muffler, 2 repair sleeves and 4 clamps. Done.

If you want to do stock-style, start hosing bolts down with PBblaster or Kroil NOW. Usually, the bolts snap before unscrewing, so be prepared to drill the bolts out of the flange. You might get lucky and they come apart easily though.

I cannot remember if the studs are in the muffler pipe or in the exhaust pipe. If studs are in the muffler pipe, just cut the nuts off and slip new pipe into the exhaust pipe's flanges(exhaust pipe is the long one under the car)

I usually just found a universal muffler, hacked the old one off and installed repair sleeves.

#4 AKghandi

AKghandi

87 GL-10 2" lift 27" tires, 86 GL 2" lift 29"

• Members
  • 1,142 posts
  • Anchorage, Alaska

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

I just replaced my muffler in my 91loyale with a muffler from a94 loyale
Very simple 2 14mm bolts and the hangers.

The bolts were rusted pretty good so i cut them off with a sawzall then its just came apart. I bought some new stainless bolts and put it back together

Now if you were going aftermarket id recomend having it welded.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users