Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Sedan rear wiper retro fit

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 86 Wonder Wedge

86 Wonder Wedge

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • Akron, OH

Posted 12 May 2013 - 11:10 PM

This might sound crazy, but for those that don't have the awesome rear window wiper option (USDM, thanks FHI) looking at the wagon's rear wiper, and assuming that one does a 180 (or nearly 180) rotation, and the rear deck as the mounting for the  motor, could you remove the high mount brake light, carefully drill a hole for wiper spindle and bob's your uncle?

I can pull the entire wiring harness, motor and all that jazz from the donor wagon, but the hole in my non-holy glass is what has me worried... 

ideas?

#2 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:05 AM

So, you want to have Rear Wiper in your Sedan?

This is How the JDM / LADM \ EUDM Luxury Sedans has it mounted from Factory:

big_47414_5.jpg

I Bet that is Doable, but you migh do some Custom Work

and Twisting on the Mechanism taken from a Wagon.

Or find a original Sedan one on internet.

Kind Regards.

#3 Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Loyale 2.7 Turbo

The Mighty "BumbleBeast"

• Gold Subscribers
  • 5,531 posts
  • Roatán, Honduras.

Posted 13 May 2013 - 01:11 AM

Well, also Legacy Sedans came with Factory Rear Wipers too...

img0852gr.jpg

#4 Leeroy

Leeroy

Old boxer tricks!

• Members
  • 443 posts
  • Albury, NSW, Australia

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:28 AM

You need the glass with the hole... It is my understanding you cannot make or drill a hole after the glass is made. If you try it will break!

Edited by Leeroy, 13 May 2013 - 06:29 AM.

#5 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,651 posts
  • WV

Posted 13 May 2013 - 06:41 AM

You need the glass with the hole... It is my understanding you cannot make or drill a hole after the glass is made. If you try it will break!

exactly - you can cut and drill glass but not once it's tempered as all auto glass is.

could probably source the wiper from JDM, ebay, or something....the glass will be the tricky part.

#6 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,551 posts
  • Texas

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:40 AM

I wouldn't discount the possibility of putting that hole in the glass. The best drills for larger holes will be diamond cylinders (nickel plated preferred) and it's gonna be best to create a donut shaped dam around the position, fill with some thing like kerosene for a lube/coolant (water with a drop of dish soap would work) and drill with a drill press. You are actually grinding. get some similar glass from a junkyard and test/ practice 3-4 times before committing to the actual rear window.

You MIGHT be able to do this with a copper cylinder, slotted a few times around the edge, and coarse silicon carbide grit. It will take longer, but will work. making your bit true and centered might be tricky.

I certainly wouldn't attempt it unless i knew I could get a replacement rear window.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan, 13 May 2013 - 10:43 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users