Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Sedan rear wiper retro fit

This might sound crazy, but for those that don't have the awesome rear window wiper option (USDM, thanks FHI) looking at the wagon's rear wiper, and assuming that one does a 180 (or nearly 180) rotation, and the rear deck as the mounting for the  motor, could you remove the high mount brake light, carefully drill a hole for wiper spindle and bob's your uncle?

I can pull the entire wiring harness, motor and all that jazz from the donor wagon, but the hole in my non-holy glass is what has me worried... 

ideas?

So, you want to have Rear Wiper in your Sedan?

This is How the JDM / LADM \ EUDM Luxury Sedans has it mounted from Factory:

big_47414_5.jpg

I Bet that is Doable, but you migh do some Custom Work

and Twisting on the Mechanism taken from a Wagon.

Or find a original Sedan one on internet.

Kind Regards.

You need the glass with the hole... It is my understanding you cannot make or drill a hole after the glass is made. If you try it will break!

exactly - you can cut and drill glass but not once it's tempered as all auto glass is.

could probably source the wiper from JDM, ebay, or something....the glass will be the tricky part.

I wouldn't discount the possibility of putting that hole in the glass. The best drills for larger holes will be diamond cylinders (nickel plated preferred) and it's gonna be best to create a donut shaped dam around the position, fill with some thing like kerosene for a lube/coolant (water with a drop of dish soap would work) and drill with a drill press. You are actually grinding. get some similar glass from a junkyard and test/ practice 3-4 times before committing to the actual rear window.

You MIGHT be able to do this with a copper cylinder, slotted a few times around the edge, and coarse silicon carbide grit. It will take longer, but will work. making your bit true and centered might be tricky.

I certainly wouldn't attempt it unless i knew I could get a replacement rear window.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan