Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So I went wheeling today

Uberoo

So I went wheeling today with one of my friends and his wife.

ME: 81 subaru hatch,EJ22,T-case,welded rear diff 8" lift and 31x10.5x15 sucky mud tires as you will see.

Friend: 90's ford F150, 300 6 and manual,6" lift, welded rear diff, brand NEW 37" super swampers

From here on out its all mudding because that is mostly all thats around here,that and trail riding, but the trails get graded down when they start becoming fun..

I managed to get some pics and even a couple of videos,Mostly of trouble spots.

Here is a video of the first hole we found today.Those with keen memories may notice it is the same hole a couple of years ago that I blew up reverse with my old EA81 wagon..I Wanted to try it so I did.I started out in RWD then switched to 4wd when I realized how slick it was.

th_subihole1_zps7ec1d6fd.jpg

then my buddy went through in 2wd

th_fordhole1_zps6819f957.jpg

then to really show me how much my tires suck his wife went through in 4wd.

th_fordwife_zps821cc9fc.jpg

Next up is a hole that didn't think was very deep so I drove in and promptly got high centered.

DSC00240_zpsea0dc4a1.jpg~original

DSC00243_zps4853b77d.jpg~original

after getting pulled out I had another go at it.

DSC00244_zps0fc1926d.jpg~original

DSC00246_zpsba8aeddc.jpg~original

DSC00247_zpsfdc91f7a.jpg~original

DSC00249_zps45f9db79.jpg~original

DSC00251_zpsfa3fff59.jpg~original

It looks like I got out but I didn't.I didn't have enough momentum traction to get out the hole so I backed up and got high centered again where i got stuck the first time.

Next up is a very large hole.I tried to stay towards one of the edges but I got sucked right into the deep center. My buddy shot a short video then pressed the shutter button so this next video is broken up into two videos, but two short clips of trying the center,and the far side..

th_subihole2_zps8df4e8f8.jpg

th_subihole3_zps5ad3c061.jpg

tth_subihole3center_zps19fd96a1.jpghen I tried the center and got very far :) 

so I tried the left...

th_subihole3suspension_zps5babb5e9.jpg

my friend just to make a mockery of me drove right through it.

th_fordhole2_zps33e9c0b7.jpg

sorry about the video quality,they were good quality,then I uploaded them and they went to spit.I even selected keep images in highest quality.

Some of the images shown have a large red piece of equipment in the background.I have no idea how or why it was left there.My guess is the engine went T.U. either way I feel sorry for the operator.It has been there for the better part of this year.Sadly for the operator some person or persons vandalized it some time ago so the thing is pretty beat up.Right now its far to wet up there to even think about getting a semi up there to haul it back out,another month and it should be possible.I just hope that it wont be too much to fix because a small operator who most likely owns that,the equipment is their livelyhood.It would be a shame if it was destroyed beyond repair due to a few stupid people.I'm not sure why its so hard for people NOT to mess up other peoples stuff-disabled vehicles,gates,fences,etc.Just gives the rest of us bad names. sermon over.

As for a damage report:

shortly after that last hole shown my engine started acting sick.It was hard to start,down on power, and wouldn't idle so we towed it home.

Along the way my rear diff locked up on a steep and narrow gravel road.So we pulled the rear axles from the diff and got the car safely down to the bottom of the hill.After that I got a my truck and trailer and was able to limp the car onto the trailer in FWD.A couple issues with the trailer not with standing and I got home around 9 PM.

My buddies truck lost 1st and 2nd because the fork in the transmission broke,but it was going out anyway.

I got the my car unloaded and cleaned this morning and the engine seems to run fine.water must have gotten into the electronics...I will still pull the plugs and do a compression check just to be sure.I did however notice a bunch of water in the oil, not coolant though.

So I checked the compression and I'm not sure what to think.

1= 160 PSI

2= 180 PSI

3= 120 PSI

4= 175 PSI

the right bank is lowest so does that point toward a headgasket?

the engine is a phase one EJ22 with 150K ISH miles.

this is with the engine cold.

Edited by Uberoo

squirt a tad of oil down the plug holes and retest it.  

see if the oil makes a difference

I've never been a fan of using a compression tester for a headgasket tester.  Block test the radiator if you really think you blew a HG.  Subarus tend to blow the fire ring out and pressurize the cooling system with exhaust so the block test works the best.

120 PSI sounds like a slighty burnt valve or a carboned up valve seat

And when you said you saw water in the oil, was it just water or was it actually coolant?    I've seen maybe 2 or 3 Subaru engines ever go coolant to oil, its really hard for the HG to blow that way if you look at where the oil ports are vs the coolant ports.   You've got a 1/8" fire ring right up against a coolant jacket, where as the oil ports have a lot of gasket between them and the coolant passages. 

Dipstick tube O-rings bad?  dipstick pop out while you were in that hole?  Forget to put the oil cap on?  

Edited by torxxx

The water seems to have come from a PCV hose.The PCV Tee seems to be the culprit.It broke off the intake tube along time ago so it was taped up with a bunch of electrical tape.It seems getting wet made the tape not seal anymore.

the dipstick seal is also suspect because after I removed my skidplate it showed signs of leaking.

I drained the oil out and will run it a few times through my centrifuge I use to make fuel for diesel,should remove the water nicely.It just might take some time because I drained about 5 quarts of cement colored "oil" out..

• 3 weeks later...