Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Leaky dipstick O ring

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,381 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 13 May 2013 - 10:11 PM

I have just discovered that the O ring on the dipstick of my 91 EJ22 is leaking.Can the O ring be replaced without dropping the oil pan or any other major disassembly?Thanks in advance.

#2 matt167

matt167

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Prattsville Ny

Posted 14 May 2013 - 10:25 AM

Yes, but you need to drain the oil. You just have to remove the dipstick mounting screw and pull the dipstick up.

#3 Uberoo

Uberoo

Subaru Wheeler

• Members
  • 3,381 posts
  • lewiston,ID

Posted 14 May 2013 - 01:40 PM

I tried that already and couldn't get it to come out any measurable difference. The dip stick tube angles in towards the oil pan but along the top it is vertical to pass behind the timing setup.Do you know if the tube itself has to be rotated at some angle to clear everything? or at least come out enough to replace the O ring?

#4 matt167

matt167

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Prattsville Ny

Posted 14 May 2013 - 02:02 PM

You should have enough room to pull out the dipstick enough that you can get to the oring connections, at least on my '96 EJ22, the dipstick can be rotated forward and pulled up and out but I'd be certain that an earlier dipstick is at least simmilar and you can gain access to the o rings

#5 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

I did an oil pan on my 90 ej22 a while back, I was able to remove the dipstick first, but it was really stuck and it took some persuasion to come off

Edited by mikaleda, 16 May 2013 - 10:21 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users