Ultimate Subaru Message Board

"Icarus" 1988 xt6 build

natext6

Well, I've amassed enough parts, and I'm getting pretty close to starting work, so I'm ready to start a build thread.

Here's the plan

• 1988 Subaru xt6, satin white exterior, full air suspension.
  • 2007 EZ30DR with 60,000KM
  • 1996 Version 3 JDM STI transmission with 50,000km
  • Full interior update. White Leatherette side bolsters, Black Alcantara seating surfaces and door cards. Foam reinforced in specific areas with memory foam for additional "Hold".
  • Haltech P2000 standalone engine management system.
  • Still looking for a proper clutch setup. (I'm wondering if there's any way to swap a push type clutch to a pull type as I have a 2004 STI clutch I'd like to use.)
  • RX body kit
  • XT-T Digital dash.

Initially I plan to see if I can create some sort of franken-axles to be able to keep the xt6 spindles and Air suspension. If it holds up, then I'll keep it, if not, I'll invest in some coil-overs. If I swap to coil overs, I will also do a rear E-brake conversion.

I'm still in need of a rear diff, driveshaft, and exhaust parts back of the exhaust manifold headers, as well as the engine management, which I will purchase with my next paycheck at the beginning of June. Other than that, I have everything listed above.

Many more pics to come once album creation gets sorted out here on the forum.

post-32559-0-65299300-1368565665_thumb.jpg

post-32559-0-15990200-1368565697_thumb.jpg

post-32559-0-95981000-1368565745_thumb.jpg

Edited by natext6

Looks like the car itself needs some work, we've got a couple small rust spots, there're some ants and interestingly coloured spiders crawling around inside, there are a couple small plastic bits that are broken, the dash bezel is slightly coming off on the left-hand side, and she'll need some paint.

So a little back-story, I went and picked up the body for the vehicle this last weekend from Washington. She had been sitting for quite a while...but, the Old ER27 started right up once we boosted the battery. Coughed horrible blue smoke for about 20 seconds, then she smoothed right out. If the transmission weren't full of "Neutrals" I could probably drive around a bit.

Finally, looks like I need to pick up an appropriate flywheel to be able to bolt the transmission, clutch parts and engine together, but other than that, there will be a lot of small fiddly work until the end of the month.

Lastly! the car came with a bunch of interesting goodies. For instance, I was digging around in the trunk, and found a complete, original, front bra, and also a set of "xt coupe" floor mats. AND SOME RUSH TAPES. Hellz ya Rush. :lol:

But ya, other than that, we're just doing a really intensive clean at the moment!

• Like 1

Looks like the car itself needs some work, we've got a couple small rust spots, there're some ants and interestingly coloured spiders crawling around inside, there are a couple small plastic bits that are broken, the dash bezel is slightly coming off on the left-hand side, and she'll need some paint.

So a little back-story, I went and picked up the body for the vehicle this last weekend from Washington. She had been sitting for quite a while...but, the Old ER27 started right up once we boosted the battery. Coughed horrible blue smoke for about 20 seconds, then she smoothed right out. If the transmission weren't full of "Neutrals" I could probably drive around a bit.

Finally, looks like I need to pick up an appropriate flywheel to be able to bolt the transmission, clutch parts and engine together, but other than that, there will be a lot of small fiddly work until the end of the month.

Lastly! the car came with a bunch of interesting goodies. For instance, I was digging around in the trunk, and found a complete, original, front bra, and also a set of "xt coupe" floor mats. AND SOME RUSH TAPES. Hellz ya Rush. :lol:

But ya, other than that, we're just doing a really intensive clean at the moment!

i have still yet to buy or know some one who has bought an XT that DIDNT have ants....... i mean sh*t mines been sitting for 4 months and has already got a NEW ant infestation..... the insulation must be made out of sugar or somthing...........

RUSH TAPES! The force is strong with this one.

It's kind of funny actually seems like everytime I pick up an xt6, it comes with free tunes! My first one came with a bonus set of Stevie Ray Vaughan albums.

<Listens to SRV while driving>  CHASE SCENE

• 1 month later...

I'm curious as to where you got the trans? when i did my EJ bellhousing to Locking Center diff EA/ER, i read all over the place and couldn't find anyone who'd done it before. 

BUT, on that note, your ER27 (stock Flat 6) wont' bolt to that transmission without an adapter plate. if you didn't know before. 

BUT it WILL bolt to an EG33 :evil:   

and it looks as if your air suspension is dead... or somebody doesn't like springs. 

EDIT: i'm an idiot. i read the EZ30, then looked at the pictures and completely forgot. 

you can split the trans and install the stubs from a Stock XT6 Differential, keeping the XT6 Axles, and knuckles, and whatever else you want. I've done it. 

Edited by ironoxide

I'm curious as to where you got the trans? when i did my EJ bellhousing to Locking Center diff EA/ER, i read all over the place and couldn't find anyone who'd done it before.

I got the transmission from a fellow who had bought it from an importer, but never ended up using it.

and it looks as if your air suspension is dead... or somebody doesn't like springs.

The passenger's side rear strut has a leak, so the rears won't air up. I wired the pump up backwards and somehow got it to air up the front shocks, but the rears have a leak. (I can hear it hissing if I get really close)

you can split the trans and install the stubs from a Stock XT6 Differential, keeping the XT6 Axles, and knuckles, and whatever else you want. I've done it.

That's an interesting idea, but I'm really not terribly inclined to rip apart a transmission....although this might be the best overall solution...

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

As we stand, the transmission, franken-pedals, and clutch parts are all sorted and installed, and the engine is waiting to be installed.

A side note on the clutch setup, I was originally going to use a Hydro, pull-style clutch. BUT apparently there's no room for the Master cylinder/hydraulic pedals parts in the XT6 foot-well area. SO we ended up building a pull-style, cable actuated system...we'll see how that goes...

I've already discussed the exhaust setup with a place nearby which should run me ~ 1250$ but would include everything (including Cats) back from the exhaust header manifolds. I'm grabbing a set of SVX exhaust headers from a fellow on http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/ it's interesting that the SVX and EZ30DR have the triple port system (Dunno if that's the right term, but I'm talking about the exhaust header design) while the EZ30D only has the single...I wonder why Subaru changed it for that particular engine.

But for all who might read this, I'm in need of some Air-ride parts....the other fellow I was talking to about his parts hasn't gotten back to me in quite a while, and I'm going to need a computer and sensors at the VERY least, potentially struts...so if anyone has bits kicking around (I'm looking at you Gary) give me a shout!

Oh, and I'm going to have to mount up that Kaminari spoiler as well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Engine is in place, and the last of the various parts are being connected as best as possible.

Steps remaining:

-Cutting out part of the hood sub-structure to allow room for the intake manifold (it's a bit too tall currently....)

-Placement of alternator

-Wiring/engine management

-Exhaust

-Rear drive shaft.

And Drive!

It's almost winter here, so I'm just going to leave the A/C system until the spring.

post-32559-0-30171600-1380747530_thumb.jpg

post-32559-0-54499000-1380747535_thumb.jpg

post-32559-0-92545100-1380747545_thumb.jpg

post-32559-0-90734600-1380747550_thumb.jpg

post-32559-0-70080300-1380747556_thumb.jpg

post-32559-0-16405000-1380747562_thumb.jpg

post-32559-0-69359900-1380747567_thumb.jpg

post-32559-0-95492500-1380747586_thumb.jpg

post-32559-0-67196700-1380747596_thumb.jpg

post-32559-0-15865400-1380747604_thumb.jpg

Edited by natext6

Picked up a set of Un-used Hancook 409 I-Pikes for the upcoming winter driving. They're not the best, but I got 'em for like 400$ so W/E they'll do for a season at least.

I plan to have winter tires on the stock rims, and then over this winter season I'm going to keep my eyes open for some nice 16" rims to throw some summers, or All seasons on.

• 4 years later...