Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Factory Subwoofer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SubieTrav

SubieTrav

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Denver

Posted 14 May 2013 - 07:31 PM

Is there a differance in the factory subwoofers in the 99 Outbacks. I have a couple that I've gotten out of 98 Outbacks at the junk yard that are 80watts. Today I found a 99 with a lager sized subwoofer. There is no wording on it, but the speaker in it is bigger as well.

Attached Files

#2 Legacy777

Legacy777

• 12,654 posts
  • Houston, Tx

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:05 PM

I don't know if there is any difference among the 99 Outbacks, but as you pointed out, it looks like Subaru went to a larger sub and probably more powerful amp with the newer sub setup.  That larger one looks similar to ones I've seen in a friend's 00 Impreza RS, so I would guess that the larger sub is what the 99 and newer Outbacks got.

#3 SubieTrav

SubieTrav

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Denver

Posted 15 May 2013 - 02:13 PM

THanks, I did some searching and it is out of an Impreza. I also found a link showing how to connect 2 subwoofers to the stereo. So that will be with my next project when I get the energy.

#4 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:58 AM

Care to share the link on the dual subwoofers?

#5 SubieTrav

SubieTrav

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Denver

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:59 PM

Care to share the link on the dual subwoofers?

It looks like they just piggy back the 2 sub woofers together. here is the link from NASIOC. Either plug 2 wire harnesses together or splice the wires to like color coded wires.

http://forums.nasioc...ad.php?t=694024

I'm going to try this, hopefully it will work. Although I do have the 6 disc cd changet under the passenger seat, so not sure where I'll fit the second sub.

#6 SubieTrav

SubieTrav

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Denver

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:29 PM

Today I finally got around to installing the second sub woofer in my 96 Outback. Here are some pics of the set up. I had to fit them both under the drivers seat since I have the factory 6 disc CD changer under the passenger seat. I plugged the 2 subwoofers together and then plugged them into the stereo. The first pic show them in position as how they will be when the seat is in place. In the second pic since the sticky double sided foam tape wasn't so sticky, I unscrewed the holding bracket and attached both sub woofers to one to hold them in place so they wouldn't move around. The last pic is how they look with the seat all the way forward.

Attached Files

#7 ShawnW

ShawnW

Subaru Master Technician

• Administrator
  • 12,941 posts
  • Denver, Colorado

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:31 AM

Sound better with 2?  

#8 SubieTrav

SubieTrav

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Denver

Posted 25 May 2013 - 08:38 AM

Sound better with 2?  

Yes and no, lot more bass, but now it has what I call ghetto vibrating noise, sounds like everything on the car is vibrating apart. I'll work on adjusting the 2 screws to see if I can get that to go away. Maybe I need new speakers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users