Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

ea82 cam tower oil seal question.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 14 May 2013 - 11:49 PM

Is this the correct cam tower  o-ring for my ea82? I'm describing the o-ring that goes between the cam tower and the head? They were not labeled and were packaged in small manila envelopes inside the Felpro head gasket set I bought. I'm wondering about it now because there were three or four of them included in the head set.

Attached Files

#2 91_EJ_22

91_EJ_22

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts
  • lakewood, wa

Posted 15 May 2013 - 12:32 AM

the ones ive see from subaru have a copper center inside the rubber

#3 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 15 May 2013 - 01:42 AM

Pretty certain that is used for something else.  (Though I can't think of what would take 3 or 4... you could look on the FelPro package's contents list.)

The proper gaskets, which I have never personally seen in a FelPro set, are flat metal washers that are coated in rubber.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,295 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:02 AM

Thise appear to be injector seals for ea82 mpfi.The cam tower o-ring would be the size of a dime

#5 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:09 AM

oops. It seems to be running good? I know they had to squish down a little when I tightened the cam tower bolts. I'll have to get the proper seals.

#6 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 431 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 15 May 2013 - 11:22 AM

oops. It seems to be running good? I know they had to squish down a little when I tightened the cam tower bolts. I'll have to get the proper seals.

If they were not high temperature rated O-rings, then they will melt under high oil temperatures, and seep into the oil port in the direction of flow.  Been there, done that.

#7 rdweninger

rdweninger

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 405 posts
  • Tillamook, OR

Posted 15 May 2013 - 04:31 PM

Do you mean you installed them in your cam towers already?

If so... yes... it will run ok.   But as stated above... Bad things are happening.   You just can't see it.

#8 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 15 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thanks for your input. I HAVE noticed that my oil pressure is generally higher than it's ever been. e.g. 45 lbs @ 1000 RPM and 70-80 lbs  @ 2000 RPM. Could restricted oil passages going to the cam towers cause that?

I think I'll put a cup of used motor oil from my ea82 in a tin can and boil this remaining seal atop my coleman stove out in the middle of our local gravel pit just to see what happens. I better get a fire extinguisher first though. duh. I couldn't check the Felpro package list because the garbage man had already ran off with it.

#9 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,607 posts
  • WV

Posted 15 May 2013 - 10:41 PM

those are fuel injector orings/seals.

#10 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

Great. I should have read the Felpro package contents sticker. Oh well. I'll go to Subaru and see if I can get the correct seals. I'm just not the brightest bulb in Seattle. ha ha.

#11 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 12:14 AM

I should have a dozen or so.  If Subaru will take longer than Snail-mail, it might be worth having me mail a pair to you.

#12 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 16 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Pretty certain that is used for something else.  (Though I can't think of what would take 3 or 4... you could look on the FelPro package's contents list.)

The proper gaskets, which I have never personally seen in a FelPro set, are flat metal washers that are coated in rubber.

The old original one's I took out were thin and hard and brittle and snapped in half when I tried bending them. I didn't detect any sign of metal in them. Hmmm?

#13 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 08:25 PM

From what I understand from my betters, the metal reinforced gasket was introduced sometime during the production run, and obsoleted the previously used rubber-only gasket.

#14 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:21 AM

I've boiled it in water and also squished it in a vice but it bounces right back with no effect. Felpro could no-doubt have info on it also?

#15 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 431 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:11 AM

Just buy a couple of genuine Subaru O-rings and you will see the difference.  The engine gets hotter than boiled water.  Your engine will tell you when you better fix the problem, when it gets louder from the oil being choked off from getting to the hydraulic lifters.

#16 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

I'm runnin fresh 10-40wt. in it right now. I'll update later down the road. Thanks again. vroommmm.........

#17 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 18 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

Per your PM, I pulled a couple seals from my stash-o-parts.

For those who may need to find the part number for these specials seals, the Subaru Part Number and Description are:

13089AA010        "O Ring - CMS Case"

#18 grossgary

grossgary

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 19,607 posts
  • WV

Posted 18 May 2013 - 09:20 PM

thepartsbin.com used to, and probably still does, carry those. but they're only $2.13 (or so) from the dealer...

#19 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:58 PM

My local dealer tends to not stock stuff like these.  Sometimes a pain to wait a week.

#20 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 19 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

I've gone 428 miles so far with no problems. I'm amazed at how good it's been running as it was my first rodeo on a ea82 HG install. It had the common hairline cracks between the valve seats on every cylinder but I went with it anyway after researching the issue here on usmb. I did put a coat of copper spray on the HG's and I put about 3 ft. lbs. of extra torque on each head bolt after going thru the third torque sequence.

Attached Files

#21 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 22 May 2013 - 10:26 PM

Thanks for sending me the correct seals Northwet. I'm still curious why Felpro didn't include them in their head gasket set?

Attached Files

#22 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:20 AM

You are welcome.

I have yet to see an aftermarket head set that has these... at least these correct ones.

#23 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:58 AM

Attached File  88 day 002.jpg   136.47K   9 downloadsI've clocked 887 miles so far since the HG replacement and its still running pristine. I better get some ambition and put the seals in.

#24 OCDan

OCDan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Oregon City, Oregon

Posted 01 June 2013 - 01:09 PM

For those who may need to find the part number for these specials seals, the Subaru Part Number and Description are:

13089AA010        "O Ring - CMS Case"

Thanks! Exactly the information for which I came looking!

#25 darsdoug

darsdoug

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 245 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 04 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

Update: 2,147 miles and still running strong. I've been busy at work and haven't installed  the correct cam tower oil seals yet. Two years with no vacation time makes you stronger?  :blink:  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users