Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Purge control solenoid valve

i have a 1990 Loyale... after parking my car at a friends house and coming back out to start it my check engine light was on. i checked the code and it was code 35 for the "purge control solenoid valve"... after looking for a new one on autozone and rock auto websites, they both pull up "idle air control valve"... but after more research i find its the "charcoal canister".... so i need some real help...anyone else have this problem? how do i fix it? and is it the canister or the IAC? thanks for any help.

If its anything like my first gen Legacy, its a simple control valve that controls when the fumes are sucked out of the charcoal canister, usually opens when crusing at a steady speed. Go to a junk yard and get one, I got mine for $5 I don't think it will make much differance though unless you have emissions, my Legacy ran like that without any problems for a long time.

I don't know where it's located on the loyals, but it was located attached to the underside of the intake on mine. It was an easy fix on mine

Edited by mikaleda

Plenty of info on this site about both the purge solenoid and the EGR solenoid... very similar devices and very similar failures.   Try doing a SEARCH for "purge solenoid".

The ports that the hoses attach to are plastic and tend to snap off, so others have tried to locate more durable alternatives.  IIRC, there is a metal-ported Toyota unit that somebody found.

• Like 1

BTW, the reported failure is a result of an electrical fault within the solenoid itself (either a short or open circuit) or its wiring, rather than any outward physical fault.  (But it is still tough to find a 30 year old plastic part that won't break on you.)

alright. i got it all fixed today, i managed to find an 88 GL sedan in a junk yard an hour away. sadly the GL said it had a "bad motor" but yet it still ran and drove according to the yard owner. but the body was to far gone with rust. thanks for the replies.

Edited by 1990loyale

• 3 months later...