Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback Auto Tranny Problem, Need Help Please.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shaunald

Shaunald

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Franklinville, NY

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:20 PM

Ok, so i have a 96 legcy that has a swapped out engine from a 2.5 to a 2.2, well I have been driving it for awhile now and today I was going to work just like all the rest, had the radio on and the cruise set. Well I started to go up the hill and the car down shifted to climb it but as it did that the engine revved real high as if the car went into nuetral. So I pulled over due to the car lossing speed. So I put it back in back then tried all the gears, NOTHING!! O.o it just dies out of no where. The transmission has never slipped, made any nioses, hard to shift, etc. Just gave out. Put the car on jack stands and reved the engine in drive and reverse andthe wheels moved alil like they wanted to move, but then put the car back onto the ground and nothing. Has anyone else experienced this? and what could it possibly be, blown clutches, bad gears in transmission, low fluid, bad torque converter?? Please help me. It is my only car and I work as much as i can to make ends meat.

#2 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,187 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 17 May 2013 - 06:30 AM

i don't know the exact cause, but the solution is a replacement used trans.

these trans are very hardy if they are serviced regularly.

check your fluid condition & level .

is it red? smell burnt? full to the hot ''F'' line?

but i would look for a used trans.

you can use any auto trans from an outback 96 - 98,

or from a 98 forester,

or from a 96 - 98 GT.

you can not use an auto trans from a legacy L, or brighton or a low end impreza.

look for parts on cragslist

or http://www.car-part.com .

you will have to search each model and year separately.

put in your zip and sort by distance.

Edited by johnceggleston, 17 May 2013 - 06:34 AM.

#3 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 17 May 2013 - 08:52 AM

I agree that a used tranny is the way to go to fix this problem. It is just very expensive to have your existing tranny repaired, and time consuming.  I checked into all these options when my last Leggie lost its tranny.  A used tranny from a wrecking yard is my advise.

#4 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,926 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:20 AM

Forward clutch pack or fillter damage pluging or spunout a planetary most still drive it may have just ran low somhow any leaks ? cooler line fall off or pinched drain the oil and look inside the pan and see whats in it

#5 ivans imports

ivans imports

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 2,926 posts
  • lumby bc canada

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

swaped the engine posibble spline damage did the toqure converter get removed ? or forced in may have broken the pump drive or pump shaft

#6 uniberp

uniberp

mpergielwalkermi

• Members
  • 631 posts
  • Walker, MI

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:28 AM

Hang on. You were going up hill, how steep? Check your fluid level.

Make sure the return line from the cooler is not plugged, that fluid is circulating.

You shifted out of gear, and it didn't go seem to go back in. Check your linkage.

I believe that when a car on blocks is in OTHER than park, there will be some forward rotation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users