Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1996 Subaru Legacy Outback Auto Tranny Problem, Need Help Please.

Ok, so i have a 96 legcy that has a swapped out engine from a 2.5 to a 2.2, well I have been driving it for awhile now and today I was going to work just like all the rest, had the radio on and the cruise set. Well I started to go up the hill and the car down shifted to climb it but as it did that the engine revved real high as if the car went into nuetral. So I pulled over due to the car lossing speed. So I put it back in back then tried all the gears, NOTHING!! O.o it just dies out of no where. The transmission has never slipped, made any nioses, hard to shift, etc. Just gave out. Put the car on jack stands and reved the engine in drive and reverse andthe wheels moved alil like they wanted to move, but then put the car back onto the ground and nothing. Has anyone else experienced this? and what could it possibly be, blown clutches, bad gears in transmission, low fluid, bad torque converter?? Please help me. It is my only car and I work as much as i can to make ends meat.

i don't know the exact cause, but the solution is a replacement used trans.

these trans are very hardy if they are serviced regularly.

check your fluid condition & level .

is it red? smell burnt? full to the hot ''F'' line?

but i would look for a used trans.

you can use any auto trans from an outback 96 - 98,

or from a 98 forester,

or from a 96 - 98 GT.

you can not use an auto trans from a legacy L, or brighton or a low end impreza.

look for parts on cragslist

or http://www.car-part.com .

you will have to search each model and year separately.

put in your zip and sort by distance.

Edited by johnceggleston

I agree that a used tranny is the way to go to fix this problem. It is just very expensive to have your existing tranny repaired, and time consuming.  I checked into all these options when my last Leggie lost its tranny.  A used tranny from a wrecking yard is my advise.

Hang on. You were going up hill, how steep? Check your fluid level.

Make sure the return line from the cooler is not plugged, that fluid is circulating.

You shifted out of gear, and it didn't go seem to go back in. Check your linkage.

I believe that when a car on blocks is in OTHER than park, there will be some forward rotation.