Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Burning oil with new heads.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 uniberp

uniberp

mpergielwalkermi

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • Walker, MI

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:42 AM

Ok I still got this "top-end rebuilt" engine sitting on a enginestand and need to decide what to do with it.

If it didn't burn oil (1qt/500m)I it would have been okay, but that pi**ed me off after trusting a local "enthusiast". He put new heads on an old block and I didn't trust my instincts. That combination often results in burning oil, due to tighter heads and loose rings, and it did. Yes I have a new PCV. 2 in fact.

In order to make the "customer" happy I just bough a complete rebuilt for a few hundred more and that car is now done perfect.,

This one on the enginestand has "piston slap" AND burns oil. I'm thinking I would risk the cost of rings and headgaskets to put it right if there is a chance that will work. Maybe the new rings would reduce the "piston slap". Ever seen a broken/stuck ring in a subaru?

Sorry about all the quotes, but I'm feeling very "ironic" about these mistakes.

Edited by uniberp, 17 May 2013 - 09:44 AM.

#2 mikaleda

mikaleda

1000+ member!

• Members
  • 1,329 posts
  • priest lake, Idaho

Posted 17 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

Sorry to here you bad luck, new heads on an old block can cause higher compression making the old rings fail like you mentioned, I would worry about throwing new rings in there without new bearings since the new rings will result in even better compression putting more force on the bearings, you could always inspect the bearings with a plasti gauge and hope it would work, but it'll still be a chance that the engine might fail farther down the road.

#3 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,337 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

I've got a 96 ej25 shortblock tore down in my building that has stuck rings in it, so its a possibilty for sure.

#4 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,832 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 17 May 2013 - 10:03 PM

I've heard of a few instances of stuck rings on these. Wouldn't surprise me at all. Pull it apart, check the hone, clean the ring grooves, it might be fine with the rings that are in it (once theyre clean) but its pointless to not replace the rings while its that far apart.

#5 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 18 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

could the valve stems be bad> had they been replaced? Had they been installed properly? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users