Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Name this part

Like turbone said its the purge control cylinoid. To find a vaccume leak I use carb choke cleaner, on a cold engine only, spray along vaccume hoses and connections, EGR ect. When you spray where the leak is the engine will bog down.

Edited by mikaleda

Ok here's whole story... Just bought 1986 gl wagon w/1.8 l carb. Engine. The guy said it had a vacuum leak around the part that is in the pic I posted earlier. So I replaced the lines goin to that part.which the dealership is calling a vacuum switch valve that's pretty much non existent. I removed it to see if there were any cracks or anything will the part was on the bench it was destroyed by my son when I wasn't looking. So now I'm totally with out the part unless I spend a lot of money which I'd rather not do.

60k original miles. I doubt the carbs been touched. The car idles rough/stalls and the egr light is on. Was going to replace egr valve if fixing the vacuum problem didn't make light go out. Can I remove the egr valve all together and plate the hole.oh and the catylitic converter looks to be rusted all to hell also

60k original miles. I doubt the carbs been touched. The car idles rough/stalls and the egr light is on. Was going to replace egr valve if fixing the vacuum problem didn't make light go out. Can I remove the egr valve all together and plate the hole.oh and the catylitic converter looks to be rusted all to hell also

my egr valve light is on its also plated runs fine cap those hoses off and check the pcv clean it with brake cleaner or carb cleaner and reinstall make sure air goes in one way but no the other another thing to check would be the timing 

Vacuum leak. I replaced the hoses that run to that part. The car ran I little better but not great. I sprayed it with starting fluid and it ran smooth. I'm still trying to find out what that part is

Did you retrieve the orrifice plugs from the old hoses?

If not, you have way too much air running into the air bleeds for hte emulsion tubes.

• Like 1

my egr valve light is on its also plated runs fine cap those hoses off and check the pcv clean it with brake cleaner or carb cleaner and reinstall make sure air goes in one way but no the other another thing to check would be the timing 

EGR light needs to be reset.  2 Blue, 1 green connectors behind fusebox.  Disconnect whichever are hooked toghether, then reconnect to the other one.  or just pull the bulb.  It's just telling you  "it's been 60k miles......clean the EGR"  It'll come back again in another 60k

Don't plate off the EGR.  But DO plug the large line that comes out of it and runs over to the Anti backfire valve.  That vavle goes bad and makes a huge Vacuum leak.

With only 60k, If you had left all the hoses alone, and just drained the carb bowl and blow out the emulsions and it would run fine.

These carbs get gummed and clogged up....clean them out, and it makes a huge difference.

Edited by Gloyale

Just want to thank Gloyale on behalf of my husband Rlmcowboy. He did exactly what you said and the car is up and running (smoother than when we bought it). One thing at a time. This car is worth it. Great shape, low miles, and on top of that his dream car. So thanks to all!

Thanks to all for the help. Capped the vacuum lines.i left the egr valve in but capped the lines. The line from the egr to the anti back fire valve was dang near clogged 100%. Sprayed some carb cleaner in it and its much improved. Carb still need some attention will get to that soon enough.

float bowl vent transducer takes the preshure vapors of the top of float bowl and turns them back to gas and retuns it to intake prvents float bowl over preshure. As far as your vacume leak check antibackfire valve plubing this messes up lots on those years 

float bowl vent transducer takes the preshure vapors of the top of float bowl and turns them back to gas and retuns it to intake prvents float bowl over preshure. As far as your vacume leak check antibackfire valve plubing this messes up lots on those years 

Nope....this is the air suction valve he's talking about.

Bowl vent transducer is on the other side of the intake.  It only has 2 ports...and often get's broken in the removal/reinstall of the spare tire.