Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What if...Subaru made a part-time on-demand type of transfercase? I kind of miss that about the older Subs. I use my allwheel drive about 5% the other 95% is spent in the city on dry or wet pavement. I'm tired of dealing with a fragile 4EAT that costs more to fix than it's worth. It would last a whole lot longer without all the undo stress of driving around in AWD on dry pavement. It would get better gas mileage too. I know this is blasphemy on this board but, I'm sure some people that have had to put money into replacing a clutchpak or viscous coupler ($$$$) would agree with me. Anyway, sorry about the offtopic rant I'm just bored at work, passing time.

to the best of my knowledge, the fuse is only for the AT cars.

You can disconnect the AWD but I heard that you would up peeling out everytime you step on the gas hard b/c of the vehicles weight distribution.

BW

the fuse is only for a/t units. the wiring harness is universal . the man trans has a viscous clutch that works by heat when it senses slippage between the front and rear differentials [ when the front spins faster than the rear it creates heat in the clutch which makes it apply ]. the fuse does nothing on a man trans.

the fuse is only for a/t units. the wiring harness is universal . the man trans has a viscous clutch that works by heat when it senses slippage between the front and rear differentials [ when the front spins faster than the rear it creates heat in the clutch which makes it apply ]. the fuse does nothing on a man trans.
That's what I thought, the wiring is universal:) and one thing I can do with mine ......I can swing the rear out at will of course on snow covered roads....that's the fun with MT:)

What if...Subaru made a part-time on-demand type of transfercase? I kind of miss that about the older Subs. I use my allwheel drive about 5% the other 95% is spent in the city on dry or wet pavement. I'm tired of dealing with a fragile 4EAT that costs more to fix than it's worth. It would last a whole lot longer without all the undo stress of driving around in AWD on dry pavement. It would get better gas mileage too. I know this is blasphemy on this board but, I'm sure some people that have had to put money into replacing a clutchpak or viscous coupler ($$$$) would agree with me. Anyway, sorry about the offtopic rant I'm just bored at work, passing time.

If you have a 4EAT, you are 90% FWD anyway.. no great gains by bypassing the AWD.. rear tires only have more than 10% power when its needed.