Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1987 subaru gl 1.8 Liter front wheel dr w/4x4 has a clunking and grinding sound when accererating .Stops when i turn wheel to left ...one mechanic said cv axle,one said wheel bearings.one said ball joints.They all said drivers side front end.Replaced Left cv axle.ball joint and wheel bearing.Did absoulutly no good.  Right front end had same thing done 8 months before.Seemed to help alittle bit for a short while.But is now bad as ever.I'm at a dead end.I don't no where to go any more. local mechanics dont know anything...Is there a real Subaru mechanic out there any where that knows!...Please let me know.       -used car-                                  

Edited by used car

Check condition of the spindle nut (and make sure it's still tight) and the concave washer and cone seat for the hub.

Does it do it at high speed? Low speed?

Also check for worn radius rod bushings and/or control arm bushings and strut mounts..

Also see if 4WD Hi or Low makes a difference (not when turning obviously)

x2 to the above. Having a loose nut on the wheel may have also damaged the splines in the hub, which has happened to me before.

Torque on the wheel nut should be around 150lbs+/-

yeah i would go with the 150+ because chilton says 138 but they are almost allways way off from what the subaru book says

My cone washer failed a while ago and stripped out my driver side hub. Took two weeks to get the parts because the dealership messed up on the shipping (but hey, I got 25% off  :P). I've tightened mine to 140 ft/lbs, and never had a problem. I don't think it hurts to over-torque it to 150, but I don't think it's necessary to go that much.

If you tighten the nut and it loosens again, it could be the washer. If you put a new washer and it loosens on you again, your whole hub is probably messed up.

I had the exact same problem with my GL. I replaced the whole hub with a junkyard one and haven't had a problem since.

• 2 weeks later...