Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hello, from an old member with a new name.

Hello everyone,

My name is Tony and I have not been on this forum in years.

I had to sign up as a new member because I forgot my user name and password.

Old age setting in I guess. GGG

Now that I’m on again I can use the search to try and find my old info and post.

A little bit about me and why I signed up again:

I’m 53, a retire mechanic who forgot more than I knew and I’m a car nut.

I have a current project that I could use all the help I can get from those in the know here on USMB.

I want to put a Subaru power plant with automatic in the back of one of these.

If you have never seen one these they are known as an Ultra Van.

Most of which are powered by a Corvair air-cooled flat six automatic.

8731295113_2ab26b288a_z.jpg

8731299945_598eb7aa94_z.jpg

I want this coach to have today’s technology and hopefully get better mileage while being easier to find parts when needed.  

I like the idea of the newer gen Subaru engine with timing chains over timing belts.

I was looking into the 3.0lt. However, I’m not sure that is the best fit.

I do not know what is truly best for this project.

Plus I’m not sure the information I found for HP and Torque readings of the different power plants was a good source.

I don’t fully trust the info.

(They showed a 2.5 having more torque and hp than the 3.0 – If true why bother with a larger 3.0 in a tight space to begin with?)

That is another reason why I’m here.

I want:

1. A power plant that will stand the test of time.
  2. One with great torque first and good horse power second. (Not a racer – but a good pusher for this motor home)
  3. One that I will be able to take from a complete donor car with the entire wiring harness and install in the coach above.

Please keep in mind that I have not worked on many different care like I use to, since 2000, and I really want this first conversion to go smoothly.

One of my other goals, in the future, once available in the USA for a couple of years and at a reasonable price too; is to install the new Subaru turbo diesel in one of these.

This one will be my test bed, so to speak. Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks a head of time.

Sincerely, Tony

Edited by Ultravan Owners

One major item to overcome on this project is that the Corvair engine turns the opposite direction of the Subaru. A Subaru engine mounted in it's normal configuration would have to be mid rather than rear engine to not end up with one forward gear and several reverses. You would also want an early EJ fwd 4eat to not have to mess with eliminating / de-activationg the rear drive portion of the transmission. Good luck with your project!

It will be a mid-engine setup. My plan is to use the entire Subaru power plant, the computer, fuel pump and even the complete vehicle wiring. I will take the power plant as it sits in the car and simply mount it in the back of the coach. I will disconnect and block off the rear drive shaft part of the transaxle. (Even if I have to have a one off custom plate made.) 

Thanks you for your input.

Please keep it coming.

HERE is a LINK to my project thread, on USMB, to share more ideas and information while keeping up with the project build...

Sincerely, Tony

• 4 weeks later...

If it has a Corvair transmission bellhousing then you should be able to get a kit from Kennedy Engineered Products in Palmdale California.  They do a lot of Vanagon ones and their quality is good.  They did Corvair swaps before and as long as you go with a modern Subaru engine you should be fine.  I'd use an SVX motor if you can source a complete donor car.  

• 7 months later...