Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor: Where?

For the EA81 engine, and 1983 Brat, does anyone know where the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is? There is a sensor near the thermostat housing (which is by where the upper radiator hose connects to the intake manifold I think, passenger side of engine bay) but this sensor is two-pronged which means that, according to all parts catalogs that I've looked at, it is the radiator fan switch, not the temp. sensor that connects with the dashboard temp. gauge. The temperature sensor is just one pronged (at least the aftermarkets that you can buy are one pronged).

For the EA81 engine, and 1983 Brat, does anyone know where the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor is? There is a sensor near the thermostat housing (which is by where the upper radiator hose connects to the intake manifold I think, passenger side of engine bay) but this sensor is two-pronged which means that, according to all parts catalogs that I've looked at, it is the radiator fan switch, not the temp. sensor that connects with the dashboard temp. gauge. The temperature sensor is just one pronged (at least the aftermarkets that you can buy are one pronged).

Someone replaced it with a two prong is what happened you have the right area, the thermo switch for the fan is also single prong and is in the radiator.

• 3 weeks later...

This is all weird because when you look for parts, the ECT sensor is single-pronged, while the fan switch is two-pronged. I see a single-pronged switch on the radiator, and I see a two-pronged switch on the intake manifold, passenger side.. How could they be switched like that?

They should both be single pronged here's a couple pics

F04DA8E4-96D8-43A4-A801-25342C679D18-619

9F1C3273-1A36-465B-9D07-25DCE655502C-619

Sorry the last pic is upside down, but that's what the sensors look like.

Acctually I should say switch and sender since their not technically sensors.

Edited by mikaleda

• 9 months later...

I was wondering if you ever figured out the temperature sensor problem.  I have an '82 with the Carter/Weber 1bbl carb and it too has the two prong temperature sensor/sender/valve (whichever name you want to call it).  Unfortunately for those of us with this setup, it's hard to find parts.  So far, the only place I have found that has one is the dealership and they want $80.  Anybody know where I can get it cheaper?