Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

88 subaru gl wagon - timing broke

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Danny88GL

Danny88GL

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • landover md

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

One of the reasons i bougth the subbie is because it's a non interference engine.

I think i had a leak at teh power steering reservoir that leaked into the timing area, and ate up the timing belt teeth.

I was going to follow the guide here and change the timing belt but i was short on time and feeling lazy so i took it to a mechanic.

He called me later and said that it's kicking oil i guess back up through the intake and he thinks a valve is bent?

Is it more likely he has the timing set wrong or something?   I thinki also noticed the bottom of the motor had oil

but it could be P.S.fluid, i'm not sure. 

So  based on what i've said, what do you guys think?

#2 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,367 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 21 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

Get a new mechanic.  I'm not sure how his logic even went from spitting oil up through the intake to bent valves.  But thats beside the point, every ea82 is non-interference.

#3 Cougar

Cougar

Elite Master of the Subaru

• Members
  • 6,340 posts
  • Anchorage

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:06 PM

Replace the PCV valve.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,571 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 21 May 2013 - 05:50 PM

he piut the belts on upside down. tell him to ratate the crank 360 degrees after installing the first belt abd before installing the second belt. common mistake.

Remind the mechanic that the subaru engine is not an iron duke, small block chevy, or briggs and stratton.

#5 rdweninger

rdweninger

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 491 posts
  • Tillamook, OR

Posted 21 May 2013 - 06:44 PM

Seriously.... you gotta do the work yourself if you want it done right. Then you know exactly what was done and how to do it. And ALL the satisfaction is FREE! And most times... you can believe yourself.
There's a saying that I like (below, in quotes). It may be hard to understand at first, but you'll get it.

Question: "What's the worst part about not knowing?"

Answer: "Not knowing"

#6 ford'ssubaru's

ford'ssubaru's

USMB is life!

• Gold Subscribers
  • 178 posts
  • SPOKANE

Posted 21 May 2013 - 09:34 PM

he piut the belts on upside down. tell him to ratate the crank 360 degrees after installing the first belt abd before installing the second belt. common mistake.

Remind the mechanic that the subaru engine is not an iron duke, small block chevy, or briggs and stratton.

Very true...

#7 Danny88GL

Danny88GL

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts
  • landover md

Posted 24 May 2013 - 03:59 AM

Thank you all!   I'll let him know. Next time i will do it myself. :(

#8 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 473 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 26 May 2013 - 11:44 AM

Avoid being confrontational with your mechanic.  Avoid accusing him of making any mistakes. Phrase your suggestions as questions.  If you get him mad, he can screw your car up in so many ways.

#9 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,571 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 26 May 2013 - 10:45 PM

This happened once to a car in ohio. It went to a mechanic for a 600 dollar bill, bent valves, and sold for 200 bucks. the next guy bought it, and fixed the upside down belt and had a running car with all the work done to it already. It then was swapped to a 4wd, and recently turned up on craigslist in another state almost 10 years later. Twice was it saved from the junkyard.

Same thing happend with an xt6, had for 200 bucks over an 'upside down' timing belt. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users