Ultimate Subaru Message Board

still have ny first subaru 86gl10 turbo

marcusgl10z28

Ok so wanted to be able to keep track of my biuld for this car... this is a 86 gl10 turbo 5mt full time fwd w diff lock orange digi dash and rear discs... yes it origional... a guy at the subi dealer says its a very rare modle. I don't like rare but she is still kicking

Bought it in 2008 as a family car because I was having my first kid and I didn't want to get rid of my camaro z28..( this car has made me come to hate my camaro). Paid 200 bucks flat but anyways it was a rally car for pacific rally group it ran and drove at least knocked and ticked and the front was all smashed up ... it was emerald gree with a spongebob on the hood...

I found a parts car got the front end fixed paid 100 for the broken car and scrapped it for 200 , fixed the no charging issue... worn harmonic balancer bushing swapped to a solid one from the tb car... painted it flat black(ya that's the one as my user pic)... and it has always fired up no problems yes it always knocked. And ticked ... but ran every time... this car had been through alot...

Painted it white and drove it to montana and back 3 times at 80mph the whole way in 2011 it seen snoqalmie during blizzards both ways... and this car never skipped a beat...

Its been 7 years now.. and I've looked into making a camping trip to a place my father took me to when I was a kid... I now have 2 little guys and I want them to see it to for my pops.... except... there is a river in the way!!!

So that is what started my biuld... I cheated a bit and found a already swapped ej22 in a 93 loyal lifted... wiring was a horrific seen under the hood and the ecu was just chillin... I picked it up for 700 buck running driving and I drove it for a few monthes as a commuter befor I ripped out its heart and harness cleaned and straigned. Every thing...

Then had to say fairwell to the old faithfull(I swear I can't kill it!) Ea82t.

And I know some people may critisze for this swap but as to my knowledge... water and distributers do not mix well( I need to cross a river) don't worry a still uave everything to put it back.

The car is now up and fired up after the second day of the swap... feels like it has more power than a turbo motor...( I actually think it does btw). Runs like a champ... no guages.. gonna run aftermarket manuals and use velcro.. I. Don't want to chop into the origional wire harness much. ... ill upload some picks soon of this car as it sit...

Since I've bought this one.. I've owned 4 ea82 subis love some and canabalized others...

86 gl10turbo

90 loyal wagon 4wd

87 rx turbo 5mt

93 loyal sedan ej22 swap 2 in lift 30 in tires... it was alot of pounding and cutting

Ill update this post as go along... feel free to offer up suggestions or criticizm... I don't melt in the rain so say what ya want just don't be to vulgar... iand I apoligize for grammer.. I'm using a small phone key board to write this...lol

Finally got the ej22 running properly... it seems to be driving ok so I drove it up to work and installed a 2 in lift I had laying around from my sedan and found some 205 75 14 hankook winter I pike tires... got a good deal ($80) but had to pull all the studs out and they are new... mounted the tires by hand and it was a pita to do but got ot all on the car... didn't even need an alignment and finall finished at 11pm Monday night... she should be getting fresh paint this weekend... we will see how that goes.lol

This has been rough week of wiring and working oit bug in the ej swap lots of bad fuses and an irritating at best high idle ussue but Got the paint on... I decided to shoot it with dark forest green aircraft paint... it turned out alright and the car has a lot of dents in it buts more of a 20/20 paint job anyways and that was all I wanted... now it looks like some pavement pounder and I can't have that so trail pics and mud next weekend.

So still daily driving the wagon... and I've worked out a few more bugs... high idle fixed by turning the adjustment on the top of the iac valve and fixed the hard starting issue... coolent temp sensor was unplugged...my bad...

Both front axel inner boots are already blown... and I'm thinking the weird noise in my front end is either cvs or bearing all of which need to be done now anyways... my car is almost as high maintainance as the girl but atleast it dosent talk back...lol

Weird hesitation issue... like tye engine is starving for fuel... found a forgotten pcv line after an iacv swap on the rh cam cover... oops... but I think I got some water in it as was cleaning the engine and didn't seem to notice it... and I'm hoping its not much so ima drain the oil and if there is water... I'm changing it if not then its going right back in...

• 1 month later...

got my parts car cut up as i seem to have lost the title... so i figured no need for a title if the pile of metal isnt really a car anymore but just mere fragments...right?... blistered hands and shards of glass in my face... i had a blast... wish i had a torch to do it!

anyways was driving like a madman as usual and i jumped the wagon while going into the parking lot at work... and i dont mean like "weeeeeeee"... what mean is holy $hi#!!!! son of a b#$ch... im gonna roll it!!! kind of jumped it, so this all ended in sway bar bushings shearing from the car, a dog leg rear pass wheel and a front end alignment. it hurt..  :banghead:  but back on the road and now it drives even better after my pocket magically emptied at leshwab.... 

post-47322-0-17115300-1375683752_thumb.jpg

got my parts car cut up as i seem to have lost the title... so i figured no need for a title if the pile of metal isnt really a car anymore but just mere fragments...right?... blistered hands and shards of glass in my face... i had a blast... wish i had a torch to do it!

anyways was driving like a madman as usual and i jumped the wagon while going into the parking lot at work... and i dont mean like "weeeeeeee"... what mean is holy $hi#!!!! son of a b#$ch... im gonna roll it!!! kind of jumped it, so this all ended in sway bar bushings shearing from the car, a dog leg rear pass wheel and a front end alignment. it hurt..  :banghead:  but back on the road and now it drives even better after my pocket magically emptied at leshwab.... 

Les Schwab??? :o   Shaking my head.

• 4 months later...