Ultimate Subaru Message Board

HELP! '81 GL wagon rear end crossmember bushings?

I'm restoring a 1981 GL wagon saved from the crusher. There is a big metal crossmember that holds the rear diff in place. There are 2 cylindrical rubber bushings (about the size of an old film canister) that are completely trashed on mine. Where the heck can I get those from these days? Or do I need to have them made? Can I get them at the dealer?  Help would be greatly appreciated! 

Michael... Athens, GA

• Like 1

check in the 4x4 section, or maybe contact SJR.  when they make lifts for them the use drop or move the rear end.  they probably deal with them more than others.  or try a junk yard.

Id probably check generic ones or see if ones from a shock will fit.  I don't think its a common repair or care for most people.  

Try here, they sale polyurethane bushings. www.obtusa.com

talk to Amir (914) 302-2431. Or email him sales@obtusa.com.

He was very knowledgeable, owned older Subaru's. I purchased bushings for my Loyale a few years back. Good pricing

Edited by superpoo93

I'm restoring a 1981 GL wagon saved from the crusher. There is a big metal crossmember that holds the rear diff in place. There are 2 cylindrical rubber bushings (about the size of an old film canister) that are completely trashed on mine. Where the heck can I get those from these days? Or do I need to have them made? Can I get them at the dealer?  Help would be greatly appreciated! 

Michael... Athens, GA

unless you are actually talking about the trailing arm bushings which are the size of a film canister ( I just realized you might be talking about the main rear crossmember which also holds the rear diff. I think everybodies responses so far are in reference to the "mustach bar" which holds the rear diff from the rear).

I don't THINK you can still get trailing arm bushings from the dealer.