Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Two gauges doin their own thing

Voltage and fuel level. on a late 82 early 83 sedan.   Funny how both of them are on the left and both work when they want to, which is seldom.  Is there a seperate ground for these two? or should I be looking for a broken contact on the circuit board?  I will take any ideas thrown out and work them till I have a fully functional dash... It has become so irritating I am ready to pay a shop to make it happen...just not yet.

Similar issue w/ my 88 DL.  Left side gas and temp gauges are wacky.  work when they feel like it.  About to pull the dash and clean all contacts, see if i can find a ground to clean and make sure it's good... change some bulbs while in there and fingers crossed it fixes it.

subscribed!

GL!

I would check the voltage output out of your alternator to make sure it's within spec.  My voltage rectifier (regulator?) in my alternator went bad so it was sending 19V to the car, made my gauges go completely wonky.  A new alternator fixed it, or you can rebuild the alternator and replace regulator, but the I remember the regulator being the same cost as a new alternator.  This was on an '86 GL ea82T.