Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

88 DL - gas and temp gauges intermittent

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sl33py

sl33py

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:34 PM

Wondering if anyone else has seen this?  The gas gauge doesn't work most of the time, and when not working - the temp shows higher than it is.  (confirmed w/ the cooling/radiator fan not coming on... not very scientific i know).

when gas gauge works, temp gauge works fine too.  I have a bulb out (blinker), so need to dig up how to pull the cluster and replace.  May upgrade to some LED's and clean all the contacts before putting it back together.

Any tips or suggestions?

This is a minty 88 DL w/ only 30k (just shy at 39,xxx now) on it!  Not fast but a great runner and CAV (commuter assault vehicle)!

appreciate any help!

rob

Edited by sl33py, 23 May 2013 - 06:34 PM.

#2 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,409 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 24 May 2013 - 12:11 PM

I have a long time customer with an 88 DL, Temp and Gas gauges work intermittently.  ALthough in his case, the Temp drops off when the Gas Gauge does as well.

Rep;laced gas sender, not the issue.  Traced all wiring for continuity.  Checked main ground and 12v supply through the big connectors under dash.

Still can't fiugure it out.  Thought I'd mention it though.

#3 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Both temp and fuel read high when malfunctioning, or just temp?  If both are high, I would look for a pinched/chafed gauge harness:  To me, the symptoms sound like both wires are shorting to ground on the sender-side of the wiring.  Most likely place for both simultaneously would be near the gauge cluster.

#4 TechJR

TechJR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Boardman, OR

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:38 PM

I've seen a problem like this before on a different make of car, turned out to be a loose harness connector on the back of the instrument cluster. A bad ground connection from the gauges would give you exactly those symptoms.

#5 sl33py

sl33py

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:24 AM

Thanks guys - have the cluster out now for new bulbs (it's a PITA so going LED so don't need to do again).  Will scrub the contacts and put a dab of dielectric on before reassembling.  Will let you know if it still persists afterwards.

THX!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users