Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Idle acting weird

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mightGETaSUBARU

mightGETaSUBARU

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Kansas City, MO

Posted 25 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

1998 Legacy Outback wagon

idled fine before headgasket job, then after about 110 miles got a check engine light and noticed that the car would almost die right after coming to a stop (car is an automatic BTW)

the idle would drop to almost nothing, then come up to between 1000 and 1200, then drop to nothing, back to 1000 range, then to nothing and back to 1000ish, then back to almost dead, then perfect idle

the CEL says that the idle control is too high RPM...

the car had a few vac hoses disconnected before the head gasket job and idled great.

#2 Zekeuyasha

Zekeuyasha

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • Hartford

Posted 25 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

Double check your vacuum lines for leaks or perished hoses before you start tearing the engine apart again, and just to be safe clean out the MAF meter with the appropriate cleaner

#3 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,738 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:40 AM

Did you mess with the throttle cable adjustment when you took the manifold off? If the cable is adjusted tighter now, the ECU will have trouble adjusting the idle speed because the throttle plate is slightly open.

Did you use new manifold gaskets?

#4 mightGETaSUBARU

mightGETaSUBARU

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Kansas City, MO

Posted 26 May 2013 - 01:38 AM

I don't think I messed with them...

yes new gaskets, genuine Subaru

0 user(s) are reading this topic