Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Rod bearings Subaru outback 2.5

Thanks a lot for the responses.  I just had a little brass flaking in the engine oil.  A full time Subie mechanic told me it would have to be the rod bearings past the babbit.  I don't have any noise and the engine runs near perfect.  I thought if I could check them through the pan, I'd take a look and probably replace them with the pan off.

I thought maybe with the crank rotating the journal down on each I could get at the cap nuts, but apparently not.

He told me the only brass in the engine would be the rod bearings, but I was wondering about the cam bushings/bearings.  Is there a chance the flakes are coming from one of those or are those roller bearings?

Edited by farmer

I put a direct pressure oil gauge on my Subie, thinking if this was bearing wear putting the brass specs in the oil, I should have a somewhat lower pressure reading. 

I have 32 at idle (700 rpms) and 76 at 3500 rpms.  It doesn't seem like it should be that high with worn bearings. Still perfectly quiet and runs great.