Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

air cond compressor interchange

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 matt167

matt167

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Prattsville Ny

Posted 25 May 2013 - 10:56 PM

I looked up the interchange for my Subaru Legacy ( 1999 SUS ) and it came back 1998-1999 Legacy only. Got to the yard to find every 1998-1999 Legacy either had no motor or the compressor was locked up. I found a good compressor in a 1998 Forester ( EJ22 swapped to boot ) and it looks like the line that goes into the side of the pump is just a little straighter than on the Lego. wiring matches. Will this swap? I think I can get that difference in the connection worked out with the little bit of play in the rubber line, providing the pressures and such match what the Lego needs

#2 presslab

presslab

Subaru Nut

• Members
  • 865 posts
  • N. California

Posted 26 May 2013 - 12:48 AM

There are so many different compressors, it's tough.  First measure the length of the compressor, you can go from bolt to bolt.  Then make sure the ports are in the same spot/angle.  Finally you can measure the port diameters, they can be a few millimeters different.

The wiring is not as big of a deal, and if yours has the temperature switch you can usually swap it to the new one or just bypass it.

As far as pressures, etc, it's the length of the compressor that determines how much it pumps.  If it's a different length it won't bolt up.  So if it bolts up you should be good in that regard.

#3 matt167

matt167

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Prattsville Ny

Posted 26 May 2013 - 06:50 PM

Thanks. They are the same length. Only cost $22 if it don't work

#4 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,626 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 27 May 2013 - 08:48 AM

Thanks. They are the same length. Only cost $22 if it don't work

Also check to see if the pulley is the same size, and the pulley shaft length is the same on $22 unit vs unit on your car. If so, should work.

Be careful, if you need to bend a line to do a hook up. It is very easy to split a line open,  when bending the line.

#5 matt167

matt167

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 179 posts
  • Prattsville Ny

Posted 27 May 2013 - 09:03 AM

won't need to give much. The rubber part of the line will give what it needs. The connection is about 1/16" or less off from being the same angle. I debated getting that line from the Forrester but after I went back and looked at a '99 Legacy GT's compressor ( seized like my car's is ) I determined that they were a very close match.

Edited by matt167, 27 May 2013 - 09:04 AM.

#6 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,626 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

won't need to give much. The rubber part of the line will give what it needs. The connection is about 1/16" or less off from being the same angle. I debated getting that line from the Forrester but after I went back and looked at a '99 Legacy GT's compressor ( seized like my car's is ) I determined that they were a very close match.

Sounds like you have thought this swap through very well. Hope all goes well upon assembly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users