Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 water pump correct application

I'm doing an engine swap in my 1979 1600 DL, just replacing the ea71 with another.  I believe the good engine is a slightly later one (82ish?) and am having a little bother with the water pump.  The casting is different and the pump is different.  The new engine is missing a pump and I can't find the right one!  I work in automotive parts, so access to catalogues is not an issue.  How many options do I have?  I tried one that had a two belt pulley, right casting, wrong pulley.  Old engine has a water pump with a high pulley, but it doesn't match the later block.  One belt, no A/C, P/S etc.  Can someone shed some light on this?

the problem your running into is the fact they changed the way the cooling system was set up on the later engines to be completely internal the earlier engines had the cast aluminum passage the bolted to the 2 block halves and the water pump where as the later engines had them being completely internal i might have the pump you need in my parts that im looking to sell 

Yeah, you're absolutely right.  I see what you mean about that cast alloy passage thing.  Makes perfect sense.  Do we have any idea of part number for the later water pump?  I have a later one but like I said the pulley ain't right.  All I need is the later pump for my later engine, as I'm not using the early one at all.  Man this engine swap was meant to be easy!!!  I was hoping to swap the manifold over too from early to late, that won't cause any drama?

I've just had another look at the engines and I also see my heater hoses are all different on later engine.  Can someone tell me what the small pipe coming out of the block facing foward in the centre behind (ish) the dizzy is?  Coolant?  I've never seen a later engine in-situ so I'm learning heaps here!